Sine Wave measurements vs equations

In summary: So, in summary, the measured values for E(t) and its related parameters do not match the calculated values due to the nature of the sine wave not being pure and containing even harmonics. The formula used to calculate the average, Peak*0.637, is only applicable for a full wave rectified sine wave.
Yarnzorrr
I have the equation E(t)=7*sin(11000t+∏/3) and I measured the following:

E(.22ms) = .422V
Frequency = 1.751kHz
Period = 572.0 μs
Peak = 7V
Peak-Peak = 14V
E(rms) = 4.8V
E(average) = 105mV

I've calculated the following to compare
E(.22ms) = .422V
Frequecy = 1.75 kHz
Period = 571.4μs
Peak = 7v
Peak - Peak = 14v
E(rms) = 4.95v
E(average)=4.459V--------------------This value is no where near the measured value.

I'm using the formula Peak*0.637. Is this wrong? I'm not really sure. please help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Looks like you do not have a pure sine or not measuring TRUE RMS - and the measured "Average" includes the + and - side of the wave form ...~ 0v. Also "measured" RMS and Average totally depend on the instrument being used to measure with.

Yarnzorrr said:
I have the equation E(t)=7*sin(11000t+∏/3) and I measured the following:

E(.22ms) = .422V
Frequency = 1.751kHz
Period = 572.0 μs
Peak = 7V
Peak-Peak = 14V
E(rms) = 4.8V
E(average) = 105mV

I've calculated the following to compare
E(.22ms) = .422V
Frequecy = 1.75 kHz
Period = 571.4μs
Peak = 7v
Peak - Peak = 14v
E(rms) = 4.95v
E(average)=4.459V--------------------This value is no where near the measured value.

I'm using the formula Peak*0.637. Is this wrong? I'm not really sure. please help!

Average is average value over time. For a sine wave with no offset, the top half is equal and opposite to the bottom half. So if you average out over time, it should be zero. Your assumption is not correct of Peak*0.637.

Then fact you measure 105mV average might due to the sine wave is not pure, containing even harmonic that create DC offset when averaging out.

As yungman said, the average should be zero (or close to it). The value of 0.637 times the peak is for the (ideal) full wave rectified sine wave.

BTW. 0.637 is a numerical approximation of [itex]2/\pi[/itex], the theoretically exact value.

[tex]\frac{1}{\pi} \int_0^\pi \sin(x) dx = \frac{2}{\pi}[/tex]

I would like to point out that there are a few factors that could contribute to the discrepancy between the calculated and measured values. First, it is important to ensure that the measurement equipment used is accurate and properly calibrated. Additionally, external factors such as noise or interference could affect the measurements.

Furthermore, when dealing with sine waves, it is important to consider the phase angle. The equation given only provides the amplitude and frequency of the wave, but not the phase angle. This could also contribute to the difference between the calculated and measured values.

In terms of the formula used to calculate the RMS value, it is correct to use Peak*0.637 for a sine wave. However, it is important to note that this formula assumes a perfect sine wave, which may not always be the case in real-world measurements.

In conclusion, when comparing calculated values to measured values, it is important to consider the accuracy and calibration of the measurement equipment, external factors that may affect the measurements, and the limitations of the equations used. It may also be helpful to take multiple measurements and average them to improve accuracy.

Related to Sine Wave measurements vs equations

1. What is a sine wave measurement?

A sine wave measurement is a way to quantify and describe the amplitude, frequency, and phase of a sine wave using numerical values. This is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing.

2. What is the difference between a sine wave measurement and a sine wave equation?

A sine wave measurement involves using instruments or mathematical calculations to determine the characteristics of a sine wave, while a sine wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes the shape and behavior of a sine wave.

3. Can a sine wave measurement be used to predict future values?

Yes, a sine wave measurement can be used to predict future values by analyzing the amplitude, frequency, and phase of the wave. This information can be used to extrapolate and estimate future values of the sine wave.

4. How accurate are sine wave measurements?

The accuracy of sine wave measurements depends on the precision and sensitivity of the instruments used, as well as the skill and experience of the person making the measurements. With advanced technology and proper techniques, sine wave measurements can be very accurate.

5. What are some practical applications of sine wave measurements?

Sine wave measurements are used in a wide range of fields, including electronics, telecommunications, acoustics, and astronomy. They are especially useful for analyzing and understanding periodic phenomena such as sound, light, and electromagnetic waves.