Sin cos problem finding exact value

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the exact value of a given expression involving sine and cosine. The formula \sin^{2}x+\cos^{2}x=1 is mentioned and used to solve the problem. The correct answer is 4/3, which is obtained by correctly multiplying the numerators and denominators. The conversation ends with a realization and gratitude for the help provided.
aisha
sin cos problem finding exact value...

I have to find the exact value of : [tex] \frac {\sin^2 45 degrees + \cos ^2 45 degrees} {\sin 60 degrees \cos 30 degrees}[/tex]

The squares are throwing me off , without them I got
[tex] \frac {\frac {1} {sqrt2} + \frac {1} {sqrt2}} {3/2} [/tex]

what do I do with the sqares on sin and cos in the numerator?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try this:

[tex] sin^2 45 degrees [tex], Sin(45) = radical 2 / 2, so sin^2(45) = 2/4

If u use these formulas
[tex] \sin^{2}x+\cos^{2}x=1[/tex]
,for all "x"
and
[tex] \sin(90-x)=\cos x [/tex]
,u'd have the problem solved.

Besides,your calculations are wrong,since at the numerator they didn't include squaring thevalues for sine and cosine,which were supposed to be done.

And the denominator is 3/4.

Daniel.

ok without the square roots on the sine and cosine I get 2/3 but the solution says the answer is 4/3?

If the denominator is 3/4 and the numerator is 1,what is the whole fraction equal to??

Daniel.

[tex] \sin 60 = \frac {sqrt3} {2} [/tex]

and doesn't [tex] \cos 30 = \frac {sqrt3} {2} [/tex] also?

these multiplied gives 3/2 ??

How do u get the denominator to equal 3/4?

The multiplication is wrong.U multiplied only the numerators.U need to multiply the denominators as well.I'm sure you'll get
[tex] 2\cdot 2 =4[/tex]

Daniel.

(sqrt3/2) * (sqrt3/2) = 3/4

you forgot to multiply the two TWO's.

I've done that before, =\.

thursdaytbs said:
(sqrt3/2) * (sqrt3/2) = 3/4

you forgot to multiply the two TWO's.

I've done that before, =\.

LOL omg silly me :smile: Thanks Holy can't believe I missed that thanks

Related to Sin cos problem finding exact value

1. What is the "Sin cos problem" and why is finding the exact value important?

The "Sin cos problem" refers to the challenge of finding the exact numerical value of a given trigonometric function, such as sine or cosine. This is important because many real-world applications in fields like physics, engineering, and navigation require precise calculations using trigonometric functions.

2. How do you use a calculator to find the exact value of a trigonometric function?

Most scientific calculators have dedicated buttons for common trigonometric functions like sine, cosine, and tangent. Simply enter the angle in radians or degrees and press the corresponding button to get the exact numerical value of the function.

3. Can you provide an example of solving a "Sin cos problem"?

Yes, for example, if we want to find the exact value of sin(30°), we can use the trigonometric identity sin(30°) = 1/2. This means that the exact value of sin(30°) is 1/2.

4. What methods can be used to solve "Sin cos problems" without using a calculator?

One method is to use trigonometric identities and special angles to simplify the problem. For example, if we want to find the exact value of sin(45°), we can use the trigonometric identity sin(45°) = √2/2. Another method is to use a unit circle and the Pythagorean theorem to find the exact values of trigonometric functions for any angle.

5. How do "Sin cos problems" relate to the concept of radians?

Radians are a unit of measurement for angles that are commonly used in trigonometry. The exact values of trigonometric functions, such as sine and cosine, are often expressed in terms of radians. This is because radians provide a more accurate and precise way of measuring angles compared to degrees.