Simultaneous Eqns with exponents

• Thread starter cvr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponents
Then you can use a graphing calculator to solve for x. You can use a graphing calc even if you're not allowed to use a calculator on the test (which you probably are not).In summary, the problem involves solving two equations involving natural logarithms for the variables x and T. After attempting to solve for x and T using basic algebraic manipulation, it becomes apparent that the letters a and c complicate the solution. It may be helpful to use a graphing calculator to solve for x.
cvr
How do you solve:

ln(1-x) = a(b-1/T)
ln(x) = c(d-1/T)

for x and T ?

I see that x = e^c(d-1/T) and 1 = e^a(b-1/T) + e^c(d -1)/T but it is unclear to me what substitution to try next.

Thanks

cvr

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cvr,

1.) Homework goes in the Science Education Zone, not the Math section. I'm moving this thread to the right place.

2.) You must show an attempt at the problem in order to receive help.

I've soft deleted mathman's post, and will restore it once you have shown a reasonable attempt.

I've update the post to include what I've tried so far

Thanks,

cvr

Well I'm not sure if you can solve this particular set for any a,c. I say a,c, because when I play with them, its the letters a & c that get in the way.

If you solve the first equation for x and the second equation for T, you can then put this equation for T into your equation for x and you'll get something like:

x+wx^(a/c)-1=0

where w is just a number

Related to Simultaneous Eqns with exponents

1. What are simultaneous equations with exponents?

Simultaneous equations with exponents are a type of mathematical equation where there are two or more equations that contain variables with exponents. These equations are solved simultaneously, meaning the solution must satisfy all of the equations at the same time.

2. How do I solve simultaneous equations with exponents?

To solve simultaneous equations with exponents, the goal is to eliminate one of the variables by manipulating the equations. This can be done by raising both sides of one equation to a power that will cancel out the exponent in the other equation. Then, the resulting equations can be solved using traditional algebraic methods.

3. Are there any special rules for solving simultaneous equations with exponents?

Yes, there are a few special rules to keep in mind when solving simultaneous equations with exponents. These include the product rule, power rule, and quotient rule. These rules can be used to simplify expressions with exponents and make solving the equations easier.

4. Can simultaneous equations with exponents have multiple solutions?

Yes, simultaneous equations with exponents can have multiple solutions. This typically occurs when the two equations are not independent of each other, meaning one equation can be derived from the other. In this case, there are infinitely many solutions that satisfy both equations.

5. How are simultaneous equations with exponents used in real life?

Simultaneous equations with exponents are used in many real-life applications, such as in physics and engineering. For example, they can be used to model the growth of a population or the decay of a radioactive substance. They are also commonly used in economic models to analyze the relationship between different variables.