Simulating Tunneling Current in COMSOL for Device Modeling

In summary, tunnelling current in COMSOL is the flow of electrons through a potential barrier, accurately modeled using the COMSOL Multiphysics software. It is calculated using the Wentzel-Kramers-Brillouin (WKB) approximation, which takes into account the wave nature of electrons and key parameters such as thickness and material properties of the insulating layer. COMSOL can accurately simulate tunnelling current in complex structures and provides built-in tools for visualization and analysis.
mohsen-iran
hi friends
i have a question about the physics of the comsol
How can i simulate the tunelling current in comsol
i mean which physics should i use
i'm using COMSOL 4.2
please help me

Engineering news on Phys.org
Which kind of device do you want to simulate?

Related to Simulating Tunneling Current in COMSOL for Device Modeling

1. What is tunnelling current in COMSOL?

Tunnelling current in COMSOL refers to the flow of electrons through a potential barrier, typically a thin insulating layer, due to the quantum tunnelling effect. This phenomenon is commonly observed in nanoscale devices and can be accurately modelled using the COMSOL Multiphysics software.

2. How is tunnelling current calculated in COMSOL?

The tunnelling current in COMSOL is calculated using the Wentzel-Kramers-Brillouin (WKB) approximation, which is a semi-classical method for solving the Schrödinger equation. This approach takes into account the wave nature of electrons and their probability of tunnelling through a potential barrier.

3. What are the key parameters that affect the tunnelling current in COMSOL?

Some of the key parameters that affect the tunnelling current in COMSOL include the thickness and material properties of the insulating layer, the applied voltage, and the shape of the potential barrier. Other factors such as temperature and the presence of defects can also influence the tunnelling current.

4. Can COMSOL accurately simulate tunnelling current in complex structures?

Yes, COMSOL is a powerful multiphysics simulation software that can accurately simulate tunnelling current in complex structures, such as heterostructures and nanodevices. It takes into account various physical phenomena, such as quantum mechanics, electron-phonon interactions, and electric field effects, to provide accurate results.

5. How can tunnelling current in COMSOL be visualized and analyzed?

Tunnelling current in COMSOL can be visualized and analyzed using the built-in post-processing tools. This allows users to plot the current density distribution and analyze its behavior as a function of different parameters. COMSOL also provides options for exporting data for further analysis in external software.