Simplying linear equation to get quartic in q using Maple

In summary: I'm not familiar with Maple, but in Mathematica there are two commands useful for this sort of thing.Apart[] performs a partial fraction decomposition.Together[] combines terms into a single fraction.Maple no doubt has similar commands.Here's what I get by combining terms:Now you can collect powers in the numerator and denominator to get the form suggested by donpacino.I don't have Mathematica and not familiar with it. Could you please try with this equation in Mathematic and tell me what you get.In summary, the conversation is about trying to get a quartic equation in q from a linear equation by manipulating the equation and then using Descarte’s rule of signs to determine the number of positive roots. The
wel
Gold Member
Using the maple I am trying to get quardic in q from this big linear equation. Then use Descarte’s rule of signs to determine the number of positive roots.
\begin{equation}
\frac{\gamma*q*P_Q}{k_p*(1-q)*P_C} = \frac{I*\alpha}{k_f+k_d+\frac{k_n*\lambda_b*\gamma*q*P_Q}{\lambda_b* \gamma *q*P_Q+k_p*\lambda_r*(1-q)^2}+k_p*(1-q)}
\end{equation}
Values of parameters are given below:
I=1200
k_f = 6.7*10.^7
k_d = 6.03*10.^8
k_n = 2.92*10.^9
k_p = 4.94*10.^9
[itex]\alpha = 1.14437*10.^(-3)[/itex]
[itex]\lambda_b = 0.87e-2[/itex]
[itex]\lambda_r = 835[/itex]
[itex]\gamma = 2.74[/itex]
P_C = 3*10.^(11)
P_Q = 2.87*10.^(10)

=>
I tried the code in maple to get quartic in q but does not works. II := 1200:
k_f := 6.7*10.^7:
k_d := 6.03*10.^8:
k_n := 2.92*10.^9:
k_p := 4.94*10.^9:
alpha := 1.14437*10.^(-3):
lambda_b := 0.87e-2:
lambda_r := 835:
ggamma := 2.74:
P_C := 3*10.^11:
P_Q := 2.87*10.^10:

eq := ggamma*q*P_Q/(k_p*(1-q)*P_C) = II*alpha/(k_f+k_d+k_n*lambda_b*ggamma*q*P_Q/(lambda_b*ggamma*q*P_Q+k_p*lambda_r*(1-q)^2)+k_p*(1-q)):

simply(eq, q);My lecturer want me to manipulate the equation and get a quartic in q before substituting the values of parameters into the equation. After that,use Descarte’s rule of signs to determine the number of positive roots. Then write Q=1-q to get second quartic in Q and repeat rule of signs to determine number of steady states of q less than 1. And do the substition of parameters if necessary.
Now, its kind of hard for me what he wants because to get quartic in q first from the equation is hard to do by hand , so i have to use in maple which is not working then use Descarte’s rule of signs.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
first get the equation in the form of

[itex]\frac{A_{1}*q^{1}+A_{2}*q^{2}+...A_{n}*q^{n} }{ B{1}*q^{1}+B_{2}*q^{2}+...B_{n}*q^{n} }[/itex]

to do this, simply multiple both the numerator and denominator by λb∗γ∗q∗PQ+kp∗λr∗(1−q)2

donpacino said:
first get the equation in the form of

[itex]\frac{A_{1}*q^{1}+A_{2}*q^{2}+...A_{n}*q^{n} }{ B{1}*q^{1}+B_{2}*q^{2}+...B_{n}*q^{n} }[/itex]

to do this, simply multiple both the numerator and denominator by λb∗γ∗q∗PQ+kp∗λr∗(1−q)2

multiply both numerator and denominator by λb∗γ∗q∗PQ+kp∗λr∗(1−q)2 in both sides?

I'm not familiar with Maple, but in Mathematica there are two commands useful for this sort of thing.

Apart[] performs a partial fraction decomposition.

Together[] combines terms into a single fraction.

Maple no doubt has similar commands.

Here's what I get by combining terms:

attachment.php?attachmentid=71191&stc=1&d=1405018742.png

Now you can collect powers in the numerator and denominator to get the form suggested by donpacino.

Attachments

• Quar.png
    Quar.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 475
Likes 1 person
If i divide top and bottom by [itex]{\lambda_b* \gamma *q*P_Q+k_p*\lambda_r*(1-q)^2}[/itex] then i get:

\begin{equation}
\frac{\gamma*q*P_Q}{k_p*(1-q)*P_C} = \frac{(I*\alpha)(\lambda_b* \gamma *q*P_Q+k_p*\lambda_r*(1-q)^2)} {(k_f+k_d+k_p*(1-q))(\lambda_b* \gamma *q*P_Q+k_p*\lambda_r*(1-q)^2)+k_n*\lambda_b*\gamma*q*P_Q}
\end{equation}
and then doing cross multiplying gives

\begin{equation}
[(k_f+k_d+k_p*(1-q))(\lambda_b* \gamma *q*P_Q+k_p*\lambda_r*(1-q)^2)+k_n*\lambda_b*\gamma*q*P_Q]*(\gamma*q*P_Q) = (I*\alpha)(\lambda_b* \gamma *q*P_Q+k_p*\lambda_r*(1-q)^2)(k_p*(1-q)*P_C)
\end{equation}
now i guess from there maple can help me to simple the expression to get quartic in q but maple is not simplying it.

Last edited:
wel said:
multiply both numerator and denominator by λb∗γ∗q∗PQ+kp∗λr∗(1−q)2 in both sides?

This issue is already corrected by The electrician's post...

that being said, multiplying both he numerator and denominator by λb∗γ∗q∗PQ+kp∗λr∗(1−q)2 would only get you a signal denominator for the right side of the equation. you would then have to find a common denominator between the two sides. While this could be done by hand, it would be tedious. It would be easier to do it as seen in the electrician's post.

The Electrician said:
I'm not familiar with Maple, but in Mathematica there are two commands useful for this sort of thing.

Apart[] performs a partial fraction decomposition.

Together[] combines terms into a single fraction.

Maple no doubt has similar commands.

Here's what I get by combining terms:

attachment.php?attachmentid=71191&stc=1&d=1405018742.png

Now you can collect powers in the numerator and denominator to get the form suggested by donpacino.

I don't have Mathematica and not familiar with it. Could you please try with this equation in Mathematic and tell me what you get.
\begin{equation}
[(k_f+k_d+k_p*(1-q))(\lambda_b* \gamma *q*P_Q+k_p*\lambda_r*(1-q)^2)+k_n*\lambda_b*\gamma*q*P_Q]*(\gamma*q*P_Q) - (I*\alpha)(\lambda_b* \gamma *q*P_Q+k_p*\lambda_r*(1-q)^2)(k_p*(1-q)*P_C)=0
\end{equation}

Last edited:
From the Electrician answer,
His final answer must equal to zero. then the denominator will goes off and i only have to collect the powers in the numerator bit.

wel said:
I don't have Mathematica and not familiar with it. Could you please try with this equation in Mathematic and tell me what you get.
\begin{equation}
[(k_f+k_d+k_p*(1-q))(\lambda_b* \gamma *q*P_Q+k_p*\lambda_r*(1-q)^2)+k_n*\lambda_b*\gamma*q*P_Q]*(\gamma*q*P_Q) - (I*\alpha)(\lambda_b* \gamma *q*P_Q+k_p*\lambda_r*(1-q)^2)(k_p*(1-q)*P_C)=0
\end{equation}

Here's what I get if I expand the left side and then collect powers of q:

attachment.php?attachmentid=71192&stc=1&d=1405029863.png

I notice that in my earlier posts, I used two different symbols Pq and PQ for the same thing. Taking that into account, this result is the same as my previous result for the numerator.

Surely Maple has an "Expand" command.

Attachments

• Quar2.png
    Quar2.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 495
Thank you very much the Electrician.

Related to Simplying linear equation to get quartic in q using Maple

1. How do I use Maple to simplify a linear equation and get a quartic equation in q?

To simplify a linear equation and get a quartic equation in q using Maple, you can use the "simplify" function and specify the variable q as the second argument. This will simplify the expression and return a quartic equation in q.

2. Can I use Maple to solve a system of linear equations and get a quartic equation in q?

Yes, Maple has a built-in function called "solve" which can be used to solve a system of linear equations. By specifying the variable q as the second argument, the function will return a quartic equation in q that satisfies the system of equations.

3. Is there a specific Maple command for getting a quartic equation in q from a linear equation?

No, there is no specific command for this. However, you can use the "simplify" function or the "solve" function (if dealing with a system of equations) to obtain a quartic equation in q from a linear equation.

4. Can I use Maple to graph a quartic equation in q that I have simplified from a linear equation?

Yes, you can use the "plot" function in Maple to graph any equation, including a quartic equation in q that you have simplified from a linear equation. Simply enter the equation as the first argument and specify the variable q as the second argument.

5. Is it possible to input a linear equation and get a quartic equation in q as the output in Maple?

Yes, it is possible to do this using Maple's "simplify" function. Simply input the linear equation as the first argument and specify the variable q as the second argument. The output will be a quartic equation in q.