Simplifying Fractions: Tips and Techniques for Combining Fractions

That gives you a common denominator of (x- 2)^2(x- 1). Now, add the numerators:(3x- 6)(x- 1)- (x^2- 1)(x- 2)/ (x- 2)^2(x- 1) = (3x^2- 3x- 6x+ 6- x^3+ 2x^2- 2x+ 2)/ (x- 2)^2(x- 1)= (-x^3+ 5x^2- 7x+ 8)/ (x- 2)^2(x- 1) If you are asked to "
wocket92
Hey, I need some help with simplifying these fractions.

(3x-6)/(x^2-3x+2) - (x^2-1)/(x^2-4x+4)

Im not quite sure what to do with the denominators. Am I supposed to change them to special forms? What is the process of making these a single fraction?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would love to help you but It’s nearly impossible to tell what you mean!
3x-6/x^2-3x+2 - x^2-1/x^2-4x+4 could mean a ton of things, for example:

(3x-6/x^2)-3x+2 –( x^2-1)/(x^2-4x+4)
or
3x- (6/x^2) -3x+2 - x^2- (1/x^2) -4x+4

If I had to guess I would suspect you mean:
(3x-6)/(x^2-3x+2) – (x^2-1)/(x^2-4x+4)

If so factor the numerator and the denominator of each of these fractions.

wocket92 said:
Hey, I need some help with simplifying these fractions.

(3x-6)/(x^2-3x+2) - (x^2-1)/(x^2-4x+4)

Im not quite sure what to do with the denominators. Am I supposed to change them to special forms? What is the process of making these a single fraction?
Thanks in advance.
In order to add or subtract fractions, in algebra as in arithmetic, you must get "common denominators". And, again, as in arithmetic, you can get the least common denominator by factoring the denominators.

Here, [itex]x^2- 3x+ 2= (x- 2)(x- 1)[/itex] and [itex](x^2- 4x+ 4)= (x- 2)^2[/itex]. The "least common denominator would be [itex](x- 2)^2(x- 1)[/itex]. You can get that by multiplying both numerator and denominator of the first fraction by x- 2 and multiplying both numerator and denominator of the second fraction by x- 1.

Related to Simplifying Fractions: Tips and Techniques for Combining Fractions

1. What does it mean to simplify a fraction?

Simplifying a fraction means reducing it to its simplest form by dividing both the numerator (top number) and denominator (bottom number) by their greatest common factor (GCF).

2. How do I find the GCF of a fraction?

To find the GCF of a fraction, you can list out all the factors of the numerator and denominator, then identify the largest number that is common to both lists. This number is the GCF.

3. Can all fractions be simplified?

No, not all fractions can be simplified. Fractions that are already in their simplest form, such as 1/2 or 3/5, cannot be simplified any further.

4. Is simplifying fractions important?

Yes, simplifying fractions is important because it makes them easier to work with in calculations and comparisons. It also helps in understanding the relationship between fractions and their equivalents.

5. Are there any shortcuts for simplifying fractions?

Yes, there are some shortcuts that can be used to simplify fractions, such as cancelling out common factors in the numerator and denominator or using the "cake method" for larger fractions. However, it is important to understand the concept of simplifying fractions and not rely solely on shortcuts.