Simplify Your Limit Problem with Basic Algebra Techniques"

In summary, the problem is trying to factor a fraction and the original problem was trying to solve for a limit. Once you factor the bottom to get rid of the infinity, you can solve the limit question without factoring the numerator.
BoogieL80
Okay, basic question. I'm working a limit problem and trying to factor part of my fraction:

t3 + 3t2 - 12t + 4

Isn't there a way to combine like terms or something? I feel embarrassed asking this lol.

Physics news on Phys.org
whats the original problem & how did you get that polynomial? maybe you don't really have to factor it...

One (brute force) way is to write the factored form, multiply it out, and see if you can solve the simultaneous equations:

[tex]t^3 + 3t^2 - 12t + 4 = (t+a)(t+b)(t+c) + d[/tex]

t3 + 3t2 - 12t + 4 / t3 - 4t , as the limit of t approaches 2

I figured out that that I can get my denominator all the day down to t (t + 2)(t - 2), so I figured that there must be a way to pull that factor out of the numerator.

So you're looking for a factor of either (t+2) or (t-2). Use polynomial division.

Oh, it's a limit question. You call it a basic algebra question, but you may need to apply L'Hospital's (sp?) rule. That's beginning differential calculus. Is that what you're studying? I'll try to scare up a wikipedia entry on it...

Hmm, that's interesting. Maybe you don't need it after all. That's neat how factoring the denomnator gets away from the infinity... I hadn't seen that before.

berkeman said:
Hmm, that's interesting. Maybe you don't need it after all. That's neat how factoring the denomnator gets away from the infinity... I hadn't seen that before.
In fact, once you factor the bottom to get rid of the infinity, can't you answer the limit question without factoring the numerator?

That's a little ahead of where we are in my class, but thank you for the info ;)

berkeman said:
In fact, once you factor the bottom to get rid of the infinity, can't you answer the limit question without factoring the numerator?
Doh! I see why you need to factor the numerator still -- got to get rid of that t-2 term to avoid the infinity.:blushing:

I think so...I'm actually working on it now lol.

berkeman said:

No. Factoring the bottom does not get rid of anything until you know it cancels with something in the numerator, so factor the numerator. Since we know one of the factors this is easy if we know polynomial division.

NB, I am assuming that both numerator and denominator vanish at the relevant point otherwise there is no need to do anything to find the limit.

As Orthodontist said before: the only reason you want to factor the numerator is to cancel the (x-2) in the denominator so assume that is a factor in the numerator. Just divide the numerator by x-2.

Related to Simplify Your Limit Problem with Basic Algebra Techniques"

What is the purpose of simplifying limit problems with basic algebra techniques?

Simplifying limit problems with basic algebra techniques allows us to more easily evaluate and understand the behavior of functions as they approach a specific value. It also helps us to identify any discontinuities or holes in the function.

What are the basic algebra techniques that can be used to simplify limit problems?

Some of the basic algebra techniques that can be used to simplify limit problems include factoring, rationalizing the denominator, using the laws of exponents, and simplifying complex fractions.

Can simplifying limit problems with basic algebra techniques always provide an accurate answer?

No, there may be cases where simplifying the problem does not provide an accurate answer. It is important to also consider the properties of limits and any special cases that may arise.

How can simplifying limit problems with basic algebra techniques help with problem-solving?

By simplifying limit problems, we can often identify patterns and relationships between functions and their limits. This can help us to make predictions and solve more complex problems.

Are there any limitations to using basic algebra techniques to simplify limit problems?

Yes, there may be some limit problems that cannot be simplified with basic algebra techniques. In these cases, other methods such as L'Hopital's rule or graphing may be necessary to evaluate the limit.