Simplify the boolean expression

In summary: Which is the same as (changes in red)1.) x' * (y + z') + (x * y * z' + y' * z') + y' * (x * z')'' 2.) x' * (y + z') + (x * y * z' + y' * z') + y' * (x * z')' Which is the same as1.) x' * (y + z') + (x * y * z' + y' * z') + y' * (x' + z) 2.) x' * (y + z') + (x * y * z' + y' * z') + y' *
larry21

Homework Statement

Build the truth tables for the boolean expressions.

(x + y' * z)' + (x * y * z' + (y + z)') + (y + (x * z')')'

The Attempt at a Solution

Given that the expression is so complex I believe that I need to simplify first then proceed to build the truth table?

Work so far:

1.) x' * y'' + z' + (x * y * z' + y' + z') + y' * (x * z')''
2.) x' * y + z' + (x * y * z' + y' + z') + y' * x * z'

Steps:
1. De Morgan
2. De Morgan and double negation

Kind of stuck at this point...
Help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If it were me, I'd skip the simplification and go straight to the truth table. There's only three input variables (x, y and z), so your truth table has only eight rows.

There's nothing stopping you from simplifying beforehand, but as it turns out, going straight to the truth table is often the easiest approach.

The reason I say this is because the usual approach to minimization is:
(1) Build the truth table
(2) Use the truth table to make a Karnaugh map (K-map) and simplify that way (or use the Quine–McCluskey algorithm or equivalent).

Simplifying before the truth table sort of defeats the point. Sure, you can do it, but it might not be the best way to expend your effort.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
That said,

If you do choose to simplify a little before making the truth table, I suggest trying to put the expression in the form of "Sum of Products." It makes it a little easier to fill in the table that way. It's not totally necessary, but it couldn't hurt.

There are a couple of mistakes below I think.

larry21 said:
Work so far:

1.) x' * y'' + z' + (x * y * z' + y' + z') + y' * (x * z')''
2.) x' * y + z' + (x * y * z' + y' + z') + y' * x * z'
I think you mean, (changes in red)

1.) x' * (y'' + z') + (x * y * z' + y' * z') + y' * (x * z')''
2.) x' * (y + z') + (x * y * z' + y' * z') + y' * x * z'

Related to Simplify the boolean expression

1. What is the purpose of simplifying a boolean expression?

Simplifying a boolean expression is done in order to make it easier to understand and evaluate. It also helps in reducing the complexity of the expression and can lead to more efficient and optimized code.

2. How do you simplify a boolean expression?

To simplify a boolean expression, you can use various techniques such as Boolean algebra laws, De Morgan's laws, and Karnaugh maps. These methods involve manipulating the expression using logical operations to reduce its size and complexity.

3. Can simplifying a boolean expression change its truth value?

Yes, simplifying a boolean expression can change its truth value. This is because the simplified expression may not have the same combination of inputs as the original expression, leading to a different output.

4. Is it always necessary to simplify a boolean expression?

No, it is not always necessary to simplify a boolean expression. In some cases, the original expression may be simple enough and does not require further simplification. However, simplifying can still be beneficial in terms of code optimization and readability.

5. Can simplifying a boolean expression lead to errors?

Yes, simplifying a boolean expression can lead to errors if not done carefully. It is important to follow the correct simplification rules and double-check the final expression to ensure that it still represents the original expression accurately.