Simplify a summation and its product

In summary: It is a very powerful tool for work like this. You can use it to find the pattern in the sums you are working on. It is a bit too advanced for me to explain here, but you can search for it on the internet.In summary, kleyton is looking for a way to simplify equations for powers of numbers using a geometric approach. They have shared an example of finding the sum for m^2 and are looking for a way to extend this to higher powers. They have also mentioned a method called "The Calculus of Finite Differences" as a potential solution.
kleyton
I have been working on representing the powers of numbers as a summation.

This is as far as I have gotten.

Power: 2
[itex]m^2 = \sum_{n=1}^m \left(2n -1\right)[/itex]

Power: 3
[itex]m^3 = \sum_{n=1}^m \left(3n^2 -3n +1\right)[/itex]

Power: 4
[itex]m^4 = \sum_{n=2}^m \left[6*(4n-6) * \left(\sum_{a=1}^{m-n+1} a\right)\right] + m^2[/itex]

I wanted to know if it is possible to simplify the equation for the 4th and 3rd power of a number so that the highest power in the equation in 1.

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey kleyton and welcome to the forums.

What kind of form are you looking to do? In your post you say you want to get your expressions down to linear functions of n like you did with your m^2 so I'll assume that this is your goal for all powers of m.

One way that might help you is to view things in a geometric way. We know that m^2 is basically a square full of individual dots and that you can you visualize the sum by seeing how each term of your summation is actually two sides that expand.

I'll do an example with finding m^2 where m = 3.

So I've got the following representation of 9 dots (they are x's in this post):

x x x
x x x
x x x

Here is each application of the sum

x ...|...x|...x
...|..x..x|...x
...|...|..x..x..x

[EDIT: I put dots to separate them because the formatting got screwed up]

The above shows the delta of each sum represented geometrically.

What I am trying to do is to get you to use that geometric idea for all of the other powers so that you can extend it to higher powers (even beyond 4).

There are probably other deltas that you can use, but I think this is a good one to start off with if you don't have anything else to go with.

Last edited:
chiro said:
In your post you say you want to get your expressions down to linear functions of n like you did with your m^2 so I'll assume that this is your goal for all powers of m.
This is exactly what I was intending.

Your geometric method does seem interesting, but I do not quite seem to understand it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=43611&stc=1&d=1328611537.jpg

The above is what you had tried to show in your post for 3^2. Could you explain what you meant by "delta". The image seem to show 1+3+5=9. That is what the summation does, but the arrangement is what I stuck at.

Attachments

• screenshot.1.jpg
    screenshot.1.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 386
Hey kleyton.

What I meant by delta is the change with every summation term. So basically the first one has one 'x' corresponding to the term n=1, and then we have 3 'x's for n=2 and 5 'x's for n = 3 for m = 3.

Basically where I was going with this was to get to you to see how you can do this for say when you have cubic where you have a cube and so instead of having two lines you have three 'edges' as your n term increases. For a quartic (4th power) then you will have four 'cubes'.

The geometry is meant to help you think about it visually and then use this hint to go to higher powers in terms of algebra (i.e. the formula vs the geometric visual approach).

kleyton,

Are you familiar with the mathematics called "The Calculus Of Finite Differences"?

Related to Simplify a summation and its product

1. How do I simplify a summation and its product?

To simplify a summation and its product, you can use the distributive property and combine like terms. First, distribute the coefficient outside the parentheses to each term inside the parentheses. Then, combine like terms by adding or subtracting coefficients. Finally, simplify any remaining terms if possible.

2. What is the purpose of simplifying a summation and its product?

The purpose of simplifying a summation and its product is to reduce a complex expression into a more manageable and concise form. This can make it easier to evaluate the expression or use it in other mathematical operations.

3. Can I simplify a summation and its product if there are variables involved?

Yes, you can still simplify a summation and its product even if there are variables involved. The process is the same as simplifying expressions with only numbers, but you may need to use algebraic rules to combine like terms.

4. Are there any special rules or formulas for simplifying a summation and its product?

Yes, there are some special rules and formulas that can help simplify a summation and its product. For example, the sum of consecutive integers can be expressed as n(n+1)/2, and the sum of consecutive squares can be expressed as n(n+1)(2n+1)/6.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying a summation and its product?

Some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying a summation and its product include forgetting to distribute the coefficient, misapplying algebraic rules, and not combining like terms correctly. It is also important to be careful when dealing with negative signs and to double check your simplified expression for accuracy.