Simple vector subtraction question

• Thread starter mikefitz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary: When you are subtracting vectors, you flip one into the opposite direction (due to the negative sign), then add the vectors. The resulting vector is, again, the vector that points from the origin to the final vertex on the chain.
mikefitz
Greeting everyone, I come to you as a lowly/disgruntled undergrad trying to solve a very simple physics problem. This is the only problem I'm having with my assignment, but I cannot seem to make ANY progress with this one!

I've been given two vectors:

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4941/picuj0.gif

A has magnitude of 5 m and an angle of 55 degrees.
B has a magnitude of 2 m and an angle of 35 degrees.

Here is what I'm supposed to find: Vector C (not shown in the diagram) is the difference of A and B (C = A - B).

What exactly do they mean Vector C? I have no clue what they're talking about - does C begin at the origin?

I don't want the answer given to me, but I would like a sense of direction; thank you so much for your time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mikefitz said:
What exactly do they mean Vector C? I have no clue what they're talking about - does C begin at the origin?
C is a vector that results from subtracting B from A.

By definition, vectors begin at the origin. The endpoint of the vector is its vertex. If I say vector <3, 1>, that means the vector begins at the origin and points to x = 3, y = 1.

You know how to add vectors. You also know what multiplying a vector by -1 does to the vector. So think about subtracting the vector as C = A + (-B).

Does that mean you are to subtract the magnitude of B from A? - this is the only part of this entire chapter I'm confused on; my book only has a brief write up on the subject and gives no example problems to work on. grr...

NO! keep track of their directions ...
- B_vector is opposite the B_vector ... points down and to the right.

Add this (Tail-to-tip, like old connect-the-dots) to A,
and C will point from the first tail (at the origin) to the last tip.

mikefitz said:
Does that mean you are to subtract the magnitude of B from A? - this is the only part of this entire chapter I'm confused on; my book only has a brief write up on the subject and gives no example problems to work on. grr...
When are you adding vectors, you "lift" one of them off of the paper and put its origin point on the arrow point of the other vector. The resulting added vector is the vector that points from the origin to the vertex of the final vector on the chain.

When you are subtracting vectors, you flip one into the opposite direction (due to the negative sign), then add the vectors. The resulting vector is, again, the vector that points from the origin to the final vertex on the chain.

http://www.sparknotes.com/testprep/books/sat2/physics/chapter4section3.rhtml"

Last edited by a moderator:
This may or may not be helpful.

The notation I picked up somewhere helps me remember... (i'll just show by an example).Lets say you have two vectors [itex] \vec A=(3,0) [/itex] and [itex] \vec B =(0,3) [/itex].

Now let's say you want a vector that points from [itex] \vec B [/itex] to [itex] \vec A [/itex]

Call this vector [itex] \vec {BA} [/itex]

Then just remember to subtract the second part from the first part, such as:
[itex] \vec {BA} = \vec A - \vec B [/itex]

Verify this:

[tex] \vec {BA} = (3-0,0-3) [/tex]

Now notice that if you put the tail of this vector at the head of [itex] \vec B [/itex] the x component moves over 3, and the y component moves down 3, which puts you at the head of vector A.

Side note:
I don't know why the vector symbols is not going across the entire BA. I don't have time to look up the proper LaTeX for it. But just draw it yourself when doing the problems.

Last edited:
As FrogPad is suggesting, it is much more practical to add and subtract the vectors' components in rectangular notation. Do you know how to convert the polar notation that you were given (length and angle) to rectangular notation (deltaX, deltaY)?

Related to Simple vector subtraction question

What is simple vector subtraction?

Simple vector subtraction is the process of finding the difference between two vectors by subtracting their corresponding components.

How do you perform simple vector subtraction?

To perform simple vector subtraction, you take the difference of the x-components and the y-components of the two vectors. This can be done by subtracting the second vector's components from the first vector's components.

What is the result of simple vector subtraction?

The result of simple vector subtraction is a new vector that represents the difference between the two original vectors. This new vector has a magnitude and direction determined by the difference in the x and y components of the original vectors.

Can simple vector subtraction be applied to any type of vector?

Yes, simple vector subtraction can be applied to any type of vector, including 2D and 3D vectors. The process remains the same, where the corresponding components are subtracted to find the difference between the vectors.

What are some real-world applications of simple vector subtraction?

Simple vector subtraction has many applications in physics and engineering. It can be used to calculate the net force on an object, determine the displacement of an object, or find the resultant velocity of an object. It is also useful in navigation, such as finding the difference between two coordinates on a map.