Simple Vector Problem - Cable Tensions

In summary: Then use Pythagoras theorem to find the magnitude of each component. Finally, set the horizontal components equal to each other and solve for the tensions. In summary, to find the tensions of two cables holding a 125 N traffic light in equilibrium, you must first balance the horizontal forces and then calculate the vertical forces using Pythagoras theorem. Set the horizontal forces equal to each other and solve for the tensions to get T[SUB]1 = 125(\sqrt{3}-1) N and T[SUB]2 = 87.5(3\sqrt{2}-\sqrt{6}) N.
IOwnAndPwnU

Homework Statement

A 125 N traffic light is hanging from two flexible cables. The magnitude of the force that each cable applies to the 'eye ring' holding the lights is called the cable tension. Find the cable tensions if the light is in equilibrium.

I have attached a scan from the textbook which contains a diagram.

Homework Equations

Not sure exactly what equations are there, except pythagoras theorem for magnitude, SOH-CAH-TOA.

The Attempt at a Solution

I assigned the first tension cable (left one) as vector a, the second one (right one) as b and the traffic light as g.

a = (x1cos150, y1[/SUB/sin150)
b = (x2cos45, y2[/SUB/sin45)
g = (0, -125)

And I think: a + b + g = 0

Answer is: T1 = 125([itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]-1) N; T2 = 87.5(3[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]-[itex]\sqrt{6}[/itex]) N.

Thank you!

Attachments

• vectorproblem.jpg
    vectorproblem.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,014
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's nothing attached to the message.

That's weird, I remember the image showing up during the preview. I re-attached it though.

You have to first balance the horizontal forces (left-right) to make them zero, then you calculate the vertical ones.

Umm...how do you do that?
This is actually from a math course.

Well, decompose the force of each cable into an horizontal and a vertical component.

Related to Simple Vector Problem - Cable Tensions

1. What is a simple vector problem?

A simple vector problem involves finding the magnitude and direction of a vector using basic mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication.

2. How are cable tensions calculated in a simple vector problem?

In a simple vector problem, cable tensions are calculated by breaking down the forces acting on the cable into its individual components and using vector addition to find the resultant force.

3. What are some common applications of simple vector problems in real life?

Simple vector problems are commonly used in engineering and physics to calculate forces, velocities, and accelerations in systems such as bridges, cables, and pulleys.

4. How do you determine the direction of a vector in a simple vector problem?

The direction of a vector in a simple vector problem can be determined by using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent to find the angle between the vector and a reference axis.

5. Can a simple vector problem have more than two dimensions?

Yes, a simple vector problem can have more than two dimensions. In this case, the vector would have multiple components in different directions, and the calculations would involve using vector algebra to find the resultant vector.