Simple transformer circuit with 3 resistors

In summary, Clyde Wong is trying to solve for the open circuit voltage or short circuit current using three meshes which he drew. He appears to have mistakenly confused Voc with Isc. There are three meshes which he has shown, but he needs to solve for Isc using these meshes.
Clyde Wong

Homework Statement

dhla4ifv.jpg

2. Homework Equations [/B]
V1N2=V2N1
I1N1=I2N2

The Attempt at a Solution

For a part[/B]
I try to draw 3 mesh but I cannot write down the equation.
Can someone help me out?

Attachments

• dhla4ifv.jpg
    dhla4ifv.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 848
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Clyde Wong,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Clyde Wong said:
I try to draw 3 mesh but I cannot write down the equation.
Can someone help me out?

You'll have to show us more detail of what you've actually attempted (check the Forum Rules or have a look at the pinned thread: Guidelines for Students and Helpers ). What are you trying to solve for first, the open circuit voltage or short circuit current? Can you show us which three meshes you've identified?

Likes scottdave
upload_2018-4-20_8-30-40.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-20_8-30-40.png
    upload_2018-4-20_8-30-40.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 325
Look back at the original schematic. Voc is not taken across R3 alone; it's across R3 and the output (so to speak) winding of the transformer.

Likes Babadag
Thank you The Electrician, my mistake.
upload_2018-4-20_12-8-18.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-20_12-8-18.png
    upload_2018-4-20_12-8-18.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 368
So are you going to solve for Voc or Isc or both? I have answers & could let you know if our results agreed or not.

Clyde Wong, you said you tried to draw 3 meshes. There are 3 obvious meshes which I've shown here. Try to solve for Isc using these meshes. Can you try to write the equation for I1?

dhla4ifw.jpg

Attachments

• dhla4ifw.jpg
    dhla4ifw.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 287
The Electrician said:
Methinks Clyde Wong is not coming back. This problem is a slight rehash of a problem dealt with 4 years ago: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/transformer-mesh-current-problem.753480/

Perhaps there would be value to people who may find this problem in the future to see a solution. How many ways can it be solved?
Likely it could be valuable, but it would go against PF policy to directly offer up solutions to any homework. Also, so far it's only been 9 days since the Original Post was made, hence much too soon to call this a moribund thread; Some homework assignments can have several week deadlines and it's possible that other members or guests have the same homework problem.

Related to Simple transformer circuit with 3 resistors

What is a simple transformer circuit with 3 resistors?

A simple transformer circuit with 3 resistors is a basic electrical circuit that uses a transformer and three resistors to change the voltage and current in an electrical circuit. The transformer converts the input voltage to a higher or lower output voltage, while the resistors control the amount of current flowing in the circuit.

What is the purpose of a transformer in this circuit?

The transformer in this circuit serves to change the voltage level of the input power. It can either increase the voltage (step-up transformer) or decrease it (step-down transformer), depending on the design of the circuit. This is important because different devices require different levels of voltage to operate.

How do the resistors affect the circuit?

The resistors in this circuit act as a control for the amount of current flowing through the circuit. They are used to limit the current to a safe level and prevent any damage to the components. The values of the resistors also determine the output voltage of the circuit.

What are the advantages of using a transformer circuit with 3 resistors?

One advantage of using this type of circuit is that it allows for voltage transformation, which is essential in many electrical devices. Additionally, by using resistors, the current can be controlled and kept at a safe level. This type of circuit is also relatively simple and cost-effective to construct.

What are some common applications of a simple transformer circuit with 3 resistors?

This type of circuit can be found in many electronic devices, such as power supplies, battery chargers, and audio amplifiers. It is also commonly used in industrial settings for voltage transformation and control of electrical systems.