Simple statistics combinations/permutation problem

• Thread starter Gameowner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, there are 17,640 different teams that can be selected from a touring ‘Blue Caps’ party of 20 cricketers consisting of 9 batsmen, 8 bowlers, and 3 wicket keepers if all players are fit for selection. If 2 batsmen and 1 bowler are injured and cannot play, the total number of possible teams would decrease.
Gameowner

Homework Statement

A touring ‘Blue Caps’ party of 20 cricketers consists of 9 batsmen, 8 bowlers and 3 wicket keepers. A
team of 11 players must be chosen from the players such that there are at least 5 batsmen, 4
bowlers, and 1 wicket keeper. How many different teams can be selected?
(a) if all the players are fit for selection,
(b) if 2 batsmen and 1 bowler are injured and cannot play?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem is simple but for some reason I'm stuck...so I guess not easy after all (for me)

We've only practiced with questions that ask a certain a certain combination from a set amount n. The contraints on the last part of that question confuse me, how do we ensure that each amount of those are selected?

Am I just over-reading the question? Is it just as simple as 20C11 on the calculator?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gameowner said:

Homework Statement

A touring ‘Blue Caps’ party of 20 cricketers consists of 9 batsmen, 8 bowlers and 3 wicket keepers. A
team of 11 players must be chosen from the players such that there are at least 5 batsmen, 4
bowlers, and 1 wicket keeper. How many different teams can be selected?
(a) if all the players are fit for selection,

(b) if 2 batsmen and 1 bowler are injured and cannot play?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem is simple but for some reason I'm stuck...so I guess not easy after all (for me)

We've only practiced with questions that ask a certain a certain combination from a set amount n. The contraints on the last part of that question confuse me, how do we ensure that each amount of those are selected?

Am I just over-reading the question? Is it just as simple as 20C11 on the calculator?

Reply for part (a): If (i,j,k) = numbers of (batsmen, bowlers, keepers) we must have either (i) (6,4,1), (ii) (5,5,1), or(iii) (5,4,2). How many choices do you have in case(i)? In case (ii)? In case (iii)?

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Reply for part (a): If (i,j,k) = numbers of (batsmen, bowlers, keepers) we must have either (i) (6,4,1), (ii) (5,5,1), or(iii) (5,4,2). How many choices do you have in case(i)? In case (ii)? In case (iii)?

RGV

Since they're independent.

i)24
ii)25
iii)40

so 89?

Gameowner said:
Since they're independent.

i)24
ii)25
iii)40

so 89?
Show your work.

RGV

Opps done it slightly wrong, I'll just do i).

(6,4,1) using combinations and multiplicative rule.
= C(9,6)*C(8,4)*C(3,1)
=17,640

Seems a bit wrong...

Gameowner said:
Opps done it slightly wrong, I'll just do i).

(6,4,1) using combinations and multiplicative rule.
= C(9,6)*C(8,4)*C(3,1)
=17,640

Seems a bit wrong...
It's exactly right.

RGV

Seemed a bit too large...

So for the total, you would add up all 3 combinations that can generate correct?

and for b), it would be the exact same approach but the totals would decrease by the amounts specified?

Thanks for the help.

Related to Simple statistics combinations/permutation problem

1. What is the difference between combinations and permutations?

Combinations and permutations are both ways of arranging a set of objects, but the main difference is that combinations do not take into account the order of the objects, while permutations do. In other words, combinations are sets of objects without any specific order, while permutations are ordered arrangements of objects.

2. How do I calculate the number of combinations or permutations?

To calculate the number of combinations, you can use the formula nCr = n! / (r!(n-r)!), where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects in each combination. To calculate the number of permutations, you can use the formula nPr = n! / (n-r)!, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects in each permutation.

3. How can I use combinations or permutations in real life?

Combinations and permutations are often used in probability and statistics to calculate the likelihood of certain outcomes. They can also be used in fields such as genetics, cryptography, and music theory. In everyday life, they can be used to calculate the number of possible outcomes in games or puzzles.

4. Can I use combinations and permutations interchangeably?

No, combinations and permutations are not interchangeable because they represent different ways of arranging objects. It is important to use the correct formula depending on the situation, as using the wrong one can result in an incorrect answer.

5. Are there any shortcuts for calculating combinations and permutations?

Yes, there are a few shortcuts that can be used for certain types of combinations and permutations. For example, if you need to find the number of combinations or permutations of a set of objects where some are identical, you can use the formula n!/ (n1! * n2! * ... * nk!), where n is the total number of objects and n1, n2, etc. represent the number of identical objects. Another shortcut is the use of Pascal's triangle to quickly find the number of combinations. However, it is important to understand the underlying principles and formulas before using these shortcuts.