Simple Precalculus: Average rate of change

In summary, the average rate of change for the function g(x)=1/x is -(1/a) when evaluated at x=1 and x=a. This can be found by using the equation (f(b)-f(a))/(b-a) and simplifying the expression ((1/a)-1)/(a-1).
DarrenM

Homework Statement

Find the average rate of change:
g(x)=1/x; x = 1, x = a

Homework Equations

(f(b)-f(a))/(b-a) = Average rate of change

The Attempt at a Solution

I've spent far too much time on this problem, but I know I'm making a stupid error and I just can't pin it down. So far, the steps I'm pretty confident about:

g(1) = 1/1 = 1
g(a) = 1/a

Average rate of change = ((1/a)-1)/(a-1)

According to the book the answer is -(1/a)... but I'm just not seeing it.

Physics news on Phys.org
1/a-1 = (1-a)/a :wink:

Yea, got it now. It was just as ridiculous an oversight as I had originally thought. I kept getting to the point in the problem where I had (1-a)/(a(a-1)) and going, "Oh, I can't divide those binomials!" Factor out a -1 from the numerator, cancel out the resulting binomial with the denominator and there's the answer... staring me right in the face. I'm rather embarrassed that I had so much trouble with such a simple problem, and that I forgot such a basic rule. Thanks for the help.

Related to Simple Precalculus: Average rate of change

1. What is the average rate of change in precalculus?

The average rate of change in precalculus is the measure of how much a quantity changes over a specific interval of time or distance. It is calculated by finding the slope of a line that connects two points on a graph representing the change in the quantity.

2. How is the average rate of change different from instantaneous rate of change?

The average rate of change is calculated over a specific interval, while the instantaneous rate of change is the rate at a specific point on a curve. In other words, average rate of change is the average of all the instantaneous rates of change over an interval.

3. Can the average rate of change be negative?

Yes, the average rate of change can be negative. This means that the quantity is decreasing over the given interval. For example, if the average rate of change of a distance function is -5 meters per second, this means that the object is moving at an average speed of 5 meters per second in the negative direction.

4. How is the average rate of change used in real life?

The average rate of change is used in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering to analyze and predict changes in quantities over time. For example, it can be used to calculate the average speed of a moving object or to determine the average rate of growth of a population.

5. What are the key concepts to understand for calculating the average rate of change?

The key concepts to understand for calculating the average rate of change are the slope formula, the concept of interval, and how to interpret and analyze graphs. It is also important to have a good understanding of basic algebra and functions, as these are fundamental to precalculus topics including average rate of change.