Simple Pendulum: The gradient of the graph of T^2 against length

In summary: There could be a number of reasons why you are having difficulty getting the correct value for g. It could be that your experimental setup is flawed, your measurements are flawed, or you have large uncertainties in your measurements. It could also be that your theoretical model of the situation is not accurate in reality. If you are using a theoretical model to calculate g, make sure that the assumptions in that model are accurate. Also, make sure that the setup in reality is similar to the setup in the model. If not, the results might not be accurate.
Tangeton
I've been asked to investigate the value of g.

My graph shows that the gradient is around 4.4 as when the length was 0.27m, the squared time period was 1.18s (since this is a T2 against L graph).

My question is, of course, why?

If I am detecting g, which is 9.81 on earth, why did I get such an odd value?

I tried to see how a calculation would work with that...

Since T = 2 pi * sqrt of L/g
g = (4 pi2 x L) / T2

I used one of my results, where L = 0.20m, T2 = 0.904
After substituting those values into the equation I still got only 8.734 for the value of g.

I need to do a write up on this and of course this is the analysis and conclusion section.

Thank you for all the help you can give me.

Physics news on Phys.org
There could be all sorts of reasons. For example, it could be that:
  1. Your experimental setup is flawed.
  2. Your measurements are flawed.
  3. You have large uncertainties in your measurements.
  4. You live in an unusual place where g is abnormally small!
There are differences between your theoretical model of the situation and the actual physical setup. What assumptions does your theoretical model rely upon? How well do those assumptions hold up in reality?

Okay well.. I actually found out that I am right and the gradient is correctly defined as 4(pi)2 over g, which is what I got.

I have an issue though I was looking on this website: http://www.schoolphysics.co.uk/age1...rmonic motion/text/Simple_pendulum/index.html

The gradient is the same as mine but it is upside down. I am torn because in my book is says that the gradient of T2 against L is indeed 4(pi)2/g. In the above example, the g has been easily derived.

Any help of why I can't determine the g? I need to use T = 2(pi) * sqrt of L/g, but I don't know how to derive it :(

Last edited:
I wonder what you mean with 'upside down'. If you mean 'inverted', it could well mean that you plotted T2 horizontally versus L vertically. Show your results. ALL results.

I plotted T2 vertically and L horizontally indeed. I worked it out to be T2/L = 4(pi)2/g and from there I got the g, sorry to be a bother when I could get to an answer myself :s

Related to Simple Pendulum: The gradient of the graph of T^2 against length

What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a mass attached to a fixed point by a string or rod that is free to swing back and forth.

What is the relationship between the length of a simple pendulum and its period?

The length of a simple pendulum is directly proportional to its period. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, so does the time it takes for one complete swing, or period.

What is the gradient of the graph of T^2 against length?

The gradient of the graph of T^2 against length is the square of the angular frequency, or ω^2. This can be calculated by dividing the change in T^2 by the change in length.

How does the mass of the pendulum affect the period?

The mass of the pendulum does not affect the period, as long as the length and amplitude (maximum swing angle) remain constant. This is known as the isochronous nature of the simple pendulum.

Can the simple pendulum equation be used for any pendulum?

No, the simple pendulum equation (T = 2π√(L/g)) is only accurate for a pendulum with a small amplitude (less than 10 degrees) and a point mass at the end of the string or rod.