Simple pendulum equation of motion

In summary, the student is trying to find the equation of motion for the simple pendulum using x as the generalized coordinate (instead of the angle), but is having difficulty getting the right solution. He is looking for help from someone who is more experienced in this area.
Nora Fajes
Hi! I've been trying to find the equation of motion for the simple pendulum using x as the generalized coordinate (instead of the angle), but I haven't been able to get the right solution...

Homework Statement

The data is as usual, mass m, length l and gravity g. The X,Y axes origin can be anywhere I choose.

Homework Equations

Equation of motion using Lagrange equiations.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the solution I'm supposed to find:

[x''+(x*x'^2)/sqrt(l^2-x^2)+(g*x*sqrt(l^2-x^2))/l^2]=0

(Sorry if it's a bit messy, I don't know how to type equations)

But I get other terms I can't get rid of and I don't know what I'm doing wrong... I'd appreciate any help! Thanks!

Edit: The extra term I get is (x'^2*x'')/sqrt(l^2-x^2) and also (2*g*x')/(sqrt(l^2-x^2)) instead of (g*x*sqrt(l^2-x^2))/l^2.

(Still don't know how to post equations)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It would help if you actually showed us your attempt with the extra terms. Also, use of the homework template is mandatory, do not erease the template headings.

Orodruin said:
It would help if you actually showed us your attempt with the extra terms. Also, use of the homework template is mandatory, do not erease the template headings.
Sorry about the template, already corrected that and also added my extra terms. I'm still trying to solve it (not just waiting for an answer here) so I'll update it if I get it right. Thank you!

vela said:
It really isn't very helpful if all you do is post your result. It's like someone saying, "My car doesn't work. What's wrong?"

There's a link to a LaTeX FAQ at the bottom of https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/guidelines-for-students-and-helpers.635513/.

Ok, this is what I've got so far (although you could've asked nicely), sorry it's in Spanish:

la foto.jpg

And the solution I need to get to:

Péndulo.png

Anyway, thank you for your help.

Related to Simple pendulum equation of motion

What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a physical system consisting of a weight (known as the bob) suspended from a fixed point by a string or rod. When the bob is pulled to one side and released, it will swing back and forth with a constant period of motion.

What is the equation of motion for a simple pendulum?

The equation of motion for a simple pendulum is given by: T=2π√(L/g), where T is the period of motion, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What factors affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum is affected by three main factors: the length of the pendulum, the acceleration due to gravity, and the amplitude (maximum angle of swing) of the pendulum.

How is the simple pendulum equation derived?

The simple pendulum equation is derived using the principles of harmonic motion and Newton's second law of motion. By considering the forces acting on the pendulum bob at different points in its motion, the equation can be derived.

Can the simple pendulum equation be used for any type of pendulum?

No, the simple pendulum equation is only applicable for idealized, point-mass pendulums with small amplitudes of motion. For more complex pendulums, such as those with a distributed mass or large amplitudes, different equations will need to be used.