Simple pendulum- ang v at time from mass, length, and ang v at 0 rad

In summary, the conversation discusses a pendulum with a 300 gram mass and a string of length 75 cm. In part a, the small angle approximation is used to derive an equation for the angular acceleration of the pendulum without friction. Part b focuses on determining the angular velocity of the pendulum 0.5 seconds after it is given a push and reaches a velocity of 1.3 rad/s in the counterclockwise direction. The complex number technique is also mentioned as a possible method. Part c asks for the amplitude and period of the pendulum after it collides with a 600 gram mass, assuming perfect elasticity. The conversation ends with the person asking for help on where to start for part b, with attempts
natasha13100

Homework Statement

A pendulum consists of a 300 gram mass attached to the end of a string of length 75 cm.
• a) Using the small angle approximation(sinθ ≈ θ), derive an equation for the angular acceleration of the pendulum, assuming that there is no friction.
• b)] The pendulum is given a push,and when it passes through the vertical it is traveling with an angular velocity of 1.3 rad/s in the counterclockwise direction. What is the angular velocity of the pendulum 0.5 second later? At what angle will the pendulum be located?
• c) Re-do part b) using the complex number technique.
• d) The next time the pendulum passes through the vertical, a 600 gram mass is placed directly in its path. Assuming that the ensuing collision be- tween the pendulum and mass is perfetly elastic, what will the amplitude and period of the pendulum be after the collision?
I already solved part a. I am having trouble with part b. Where do I start?

Homework Equations

torque, angular acceleration, moment of inertia, angular velocity, angular displacement, etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a, (I know this part is correct because we did a similar problem in class.
torque=±force x moment arm where + is counterclockwise
net torque=torque due to gravity+torque due to string tension=-mglsinθ+0
m=mass, g=acceleration due to gravity
torque=Iα (moment of inertia times angular acceleration) as well
I=ml2
torque=ml2α
set two equations equal to one another:
-mglsinθ=ml2α
α=-g*sin(θ)/l but I have to use small angle approximation so =-gθ/l

for part b, I really need help with what to do first. (I already drew a picture and FBD.)
I have attempted integrating α with respect to time (t) and using the initial angular velocity (ωi) as the constant. However, I ran into the problem of multiple variables (ω and θ). I also thought about taking the derivative of the formula for the angular displacement (θ=Acos(Ωt+β)) but I ran into the same problem with amplitude (A) and the constant β. (Ω is angular frequency). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
natasha13100 said:
I also thought about taking the derivative of the formula for the angular displacement (θ=Acos(Ωt+β)) but I ran into the same problem with amplitude (A) and the constant β. (Ω is angular frequency).
That should succeed. Please post your working.

Related to Simple pendulum- ang v at time from mass, length, and ang v at 0 rad

1. What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a weight suspended from a pivot point that is allowed to swing back and forth under the force of gravity.

2. How is the angular velocity of a simple pendulum calculated?

The angular velocity of a simple pendulum can be calculated using the formula: ω = √(g/L), where g is the acceleration due to gravity and L is the length of the pendulum.

3. How does the mass of a pendulum affect its angular velocity?

The mass of a pendulum does not affect its angular velocity. The only factors that affect the angular velocity are the length of the pendulum and the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does the length of a pendulum affect its angular velocity?

The length of a pendulum has a direct effect on its angular velocity. The longer the length of the pendulum, the slower the angular velocity will be. This is because a longer pendulum has a longer period of oscillation, which is the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full swing.

5. What is the relationship between angular velocity and time for a simple pendulum?

The relationship between angular velocity and time for a simple pendulum is that as time increases, the angular velocity decreases. This is because the pendulum experiences air resistance and gradually loses energy, causing it to swing slower over time.