Simple linear transformation of coordinates on a sin wave

In summary, the problem presented asks to solve for x' as a function of t' in the context of relativity and de Broglie waves. The given equations are x=ksin(t), k<1, x'=x, and t'=t-kx. However, the resulting equation for x' involves both a sine function and a trigonometric argument that is both inside and outside the function, making it a non-linear and potentially intractable problem. The source of the problem is from a website discussing the relationship between the Compton frequency, de Broglie wavelength, and the oscillation of charge associated with the electron.
granpa

Homework Statement

let x=ksin(t). let k<1. let x'=x. let t'=t-kx. solve for x' as a function of t'. (this question has to do with relativity and deBroglie waves)

Homework Equations

given above.

The Attempt at a Solution

since t=t'+kx therefore x'=ksin(t'+kx). but I need x' as a function of t' only. I am ashamed to admit that such a simple linear problem has me stumped. if someone could give me a pointer I would be very glad.

Physics news on Phys.org
granpa said:

Homework Statement

let x=ksin(t). let k<1. let x'=x. let t'=t-kx. solve for x' as a function of t'. (this question has to do with relativity and deBroglie waves)

Homework Equations

given above.

The Attempt at a Solution

since t=t'+kx therefore x'=ksin(t'+kx). but I need x' as a function of t' only. I am ashamed to admit that such a simple linear problem has me stumped. if someone could give me a pointer I would be very glad.

I am not so sure this is "such a simple linear problem." The issue is that despite the equation t' = t - kx seeming linear, it leads to x' = ksin(t' + kx'), where x' is both inside and outside a trig function (and definitely not a linear problem). This sort of situation often leads to intractable transcendental solutions. This problems seems peculiar. How is the exercise actually stated in the text?

--Elucidus

its not a textbook. it comes from this website:

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cach...+frequency"+electron&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

in the left hand panel it reads:
If you combine the E=mc2 and the E=hf equations (where f is frequency), you arrive at the Compton frequency. de Broglie's conjecture was that the Compton frequency reflected, in the case of the electron (quarks were not yet discovered), some kind of fundamental intrinsic oscillation or circulation of charge associated with the electron... One can easily show that if the electron really does oscillate at the Compton frequency in its own rest frame, when you view the electron from a moving frame a beat frequency becomes superimposed on this oscillation due to a Doppler shift. It turns out that this beat frequency proves to be exactly the de Broglie wavelength of a moving electron.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Simple linear transformation of coordinates on a sin wave

1. What is a simple linear transformation of coordinates on a sin wave?

A simple linear transformation of coordinates on a sin wave refers to the process of changing the coordinates of points on a sine wave by applying a linear function to them. This transformation can change the amplitude, frequency, and phase of the sine wave.

2. Why do we use simple linear transformations on sin waves?

Simple linear transformations are used on sin waves to manipulate their properties and create different variations of the wave. This can be useful in applications such as signal processing, digital signal processing, and modeling real-world phenomena.

3. How is a simple linear transformation applied to coordinates on a sin wave?

A simple linear transformation is applied by multiplying the original coordinates of the points on the sine wave by a transformation matrix. This matrix contains the coefficients of the linear function that will alter the coordinates.

4. What are the main components of a simple linear transformation on a sin wave?

The main components of a simple linear transformation on a sin wave are the transformation matrix, which contains the coefficients of the linear function, and the original coordinates of the points on the wave.

5. What are some common applications of simple linear transformations on sin waves?

Some common applications of simple linear transformations on sin waves include audio and image processing, data analysis, and modeling of natural phenomena such as sound waves and electromagnetic waves.