Simple KVL (kirchhoff's voltage law) problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) in two different circuits. The first circuit involves a triangle of three resistors and the second circuit involves an open circuit. The book states that the sum of all emfs is equal to the sum of all IR terms, but there are discrepancies in the highlighted parts of the PDFs provided. However, the responder does not see any problems and explains that in the first circuit, the absence of E can be explained by having I=0, and in the second circuit, the sum of IR terms is 0 due to the open circuit. The responder also provides a link to a properly rotated page for the first PDF. The conversation ends with the original
PainterGuy
hello everyone,:wink:

my book says:
[tex]\sum [/tex] E = [tex]\sum [/tex]IR

where E is emf. it says the sum of all emfs equal sum of all IR terms.

1:-- please have a look on this PDF
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...ljMzctZjQxNzNlNjZlMGMy&hl=en&authkey=CNnjye8P

in the highlighted part - the equation #3 - there is no "E". how can we apply KVL when there is no "E".

2:-- and in this PDF (the highlighted part):
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...gwOTYtOGQzN2NmMmFjNTRh&hl=en&authkey=CM62nsYK

there is no IR terms and Vcd is neither E nor IR. so how can we apply KVL here?

please help me with this KVL problem as soon as possible. i am very grateful for your helping me out. many thanks.

cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
hello,

will someone please help me with this? it will be generous of you. is what book says incorrect?

cheers

please, please, help me on this.

cheers

It's a very long time since I did anything like this but I can't see a problem.

In (1) in loop 3, if E=0, then sum(IxR)=0 which can only be achieved by having I=0. There is no voltage driving a net current round the triangle of three resistors so that seems sensible.

In (2) we know sum(IxR)=0 because it is an open circuit so sum(V)=0 round the closed loop You can think of it as calculating the battery that would have to be connected across C-D to exactly cancel out the emf provided by the two that are already there so that no current would flow when the loop is closed.

PainterGuy said:
hello everyone,:wink:

my book says:
[tex]\sum [/tex] E = [tex]\sum [/tex]IR

where E is emf. it says the sum of all emfs equal sum of all IR terms.

1:-- please have a look on this PDF
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...ljMzctZjQxNzNlNjZlMGMy&hl=en&authkey=CNnjye8P

in the highlighted part - the equation #3 - there is no "E". how can we apply KVL when there is no "E".

2:-- and in this PDF (the highlighted part):
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...gwOTYtOGQzN2NmMmFjNTRh&hl=en&authkey=CM62nsYK

there is no IR terms and Vcd is neither E nor IR. so how can we apply KVL here?

please help me with this KVL problem as soon as possible. i am very grateful for your helping me out. many thanks.

cheers

the page in the link "1" was not properly rotated. here is proper page:--
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...I4ODgtNGUwODhiZTE4MDM5&hl=en&authkey=CPzZ4vsE

varialectio said:
It's a very long time since I did anything like this but I can't see a problem.

In (1) in loop 3, if E=0, then sum(IxR)=0 which can only be achieved by having I=0. There is no voltage driving a net current round the triangle of three resistors so that seems sensible.

In (2) we know sum(IxR)=0 because it is an open circuit so sum(V)=0 round the closed loop You can think of it as calculating the battery that would have to be connected across C-D to exactly cancel out the emf provided by the two that are already there so that no current would flow when the loop is closed.

Hi varialectio,

Many thanks for this help. I would keep on reading your reply several times and if I have any question I will ask. Much grateful this kind help.

Cheers

Last edited:

Related to Simple KVL (kirchhoff's voltage law) problem

1. What is Kirchhoff's voltage law (KVL)?

Kirchhoff's voltage law is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis that states that the sum of all voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must be equal to zero.

2. How do I apply KVL to a simple circuit problem?

To apply KVL, start at any point in the circuit and travel around a closed loop in a consistent direction. As you encounter each component, consider its polarity and assign a positive or negative sign to the voltage. The sum of all voltages should equal zero.

3. What is the purpose of using KVL in circuit analysis?

KVL allows us to determine the voltage drops across each component in a circuit, which is important for understanding the behavior and performance of the circuit.

4. Can KVL be applied to both series and parallel circuits?

Yes, KVL can be applied to all types of circuits, including series and parallel circuits. However, the method of applying KVL may differ depending on the type of circuit.

5. Is KVL always accurate in circuit analysis?

While KVL is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis, it may not always hold true in certain situations such as circuits with time-varying magnetic fields or circuits with non-linear components. In these cases, more advanced analysis techniques may be necessary.