Simple integration by parts problem

In summary, the given integral \int \ln(2x+1)dx can be rewritten as x\ln(2x+1) - x + \int \frac{dx}{2x+1}. This can be further simplified by using a substitution u = 2x + 1 and integrating by parts. The final result is x\ln(2x+1) - x + \frac{1}{2}\ln(2x+1) + C.
revolve

Homework Statement

[tex]
\int \ln(2x+1)dx
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]u = \ln (2x +1)[/tex]

[tex]du = \frac{2}{2x+1}[/tex]

[tex]dv = dx[/tex]

[tex]v = x[/tex][tex]
xln(2x+1) - \int \frac {2x}{2x+1}dx
[/tex]I'm not sure how to proceed. Do I separate the fraction in the integrand or do long division?
I think I separate the fraction but I don't remember how. So I guess the question is how do I separate the fraction in the integrand?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can rewrite the numerator as 2x+1-1, then separate the fraction into 1-1/(2x+1). A slightly easier way of doing this problem would be to rewrite the original integral as [tex]1/2\int \ln(u)du[/tex], with u=2x+1, then integrating ln(u) by parts.

Thank you!

So now I have:

[tex]
\int \ln(2x+1)dx = x\ln(2x+1) - \int (1 - \frac{1}{2x+1})dx
[/tex]

I'm stuck on the next step. I think I need to remove the 1 somehow from in front of the fraction.

Continuing where you left off:
[tex]\int \ln(2x+1)dx = x\ln(2x+1) - \int (1 - \frac{1}{2x+1})dx[/tex]
[tex]=x ln(2x + 1) - x + \int \frac{dx}{2x + 1}[/tex]
The -x term came from integrating -1 with respect to x. The last integral can be done with a simple substitution, u = 2x + 1, du = 2dx.

Don't forget the constant of integration.

Perfect! Thank you.

Related to Simple integration by parts problem

What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method used in calculus to evaluate integrals of products of functions. It is a way of rewriting an integral so that it becomes easier to solve.

Why is integration by parts useful?

Integration by parts is useful because it allows us to solve integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve. It is also helpful in simplifying integrals and making them more manageable.

How do you use integration by parts?

To use integration by parts, you need to choose two functions, u and v, from the original integral. Then, you use the formula u·dv = u·v - v·du to rewrite the integral. This new integral can often be easier to solve than the original one.

What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u·dv = u·v - ∫v·du. This formula is derived from the product rule for derivatives, and it allows us to rewrite integrals involving products of functions.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts include choosing the wrong functions for u and v, forgetting to apply the formula correctly, and not simplifying the integral after applying the formula. It is also important to be careful with signs and constants when using integration by parts.