Simple Inner Product Clarification

In summary, the author is trying to say that the inner product is just the product of the individual vectors and that the complex conjugate doesn't exist in that sum.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I'm having trouble understanding the definition of a complex inner product.

Let λ ∈ ℂ
So if we have <λv|w> what does it equal to?
Does it equal λ*<v|w> where * is the complex conjugate?Are all these correct:
<λv|w> = λ*<v|w>
<v|λw> = λ<v|w>
<v|w> = (<w|v>)*

<v|w> = Σvw
<λv|w> = Σλ*vw
<v|λw> = Σλvw

λ(μ+α) = Σλ*α + Σλ*μ

Is there any other tough ones that you can present to me?

Homework Equations

All info is above
* = complex conjugate

The Attempt at a Solution

All info is above

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

I'm having trouble understanding the definition of a complex inner product.

Let λ ∈ ℂ
So if we have <λv|w> what does it equal to?
Does it equal λ*<v|w> where * is the complex conjugate?Are all these correct:
<λv|w> = λ*<v|w>
<v|λw> = λ<v|w>
<v|w> = (<w|v>)*

<v|w> = Σvw
<λv|w> = Σλ*vw
<v|λw> = Σλvw

λ(μ+α) = Σλ*α + Σλ*μ

Is there any other tough ones that you can present to me?

Homework Equations

All info is above
* = complex conjugate

The Attempt at a Solution

All info is above

The first three are correct; the next three are incorrect; the last one makes no sense.

Likes RJLiberator
The first three are correct; the next three are incorrect; the last one makes no sense.

I'm sorry for not writing out in full, let me try to explain.

There is a sum notation for inner products, correct?

RJLiberator said:
I'm sorry for not writing out in full, let me try to explain.

There is a sum notation for inner products, correct?

Yes, there is. But what you wrote is incorrect.

Go back and review your course notes and/or the textbook material to see why, or failing that, just go back to previous discussions on similar topics in this forum, where all those issues were already thoroughly dealt with and you claimed at the time that you understood the material.

I'm trying to find verification since my notes on summation representations are quite sloppy and the one area I am not 100% on is the summation representations. I was lazy in my initial thread here, let me try to present:

If we have vectors (v_1,...v_n) and (w_1,...,w_n) ∈ ℂ then the inner product between the two will result in the summation from i=1 to n of v_1*w_1 where * denotes complex conjugate

I have this ^^ written in notes. I do not believe this to be true. I don't see why the complex conjugate would exist there.

However, since <λv|w> = λ*<v|w> is true, we can see that in similar fashion, the sum from i=1 to n of this inner product would be λ_i*v_iw_i.

What you think of as a "summation representation" is just the option to write the vectors as linear combinations of basis vectors.

An n-tuple of vectors ##(e_1,\dots,e_n)## is called an ordered basis if the set ##\{e_1,\dots,e_n\}## is a basis. An ordered basis ##(e_1,\dots,e_n)## is said to be orthonormal if ##\{e_1,\dots,e_n\}## is an orthonormal set. If E is an orthonormal ordered basis and x is a vector, we can define the component n-tuple of x with respect to E as the unique n-tuple ##(x_1,\dots,x_n)\in\mathbb C^n## such that ##x=\sum_{i=1}^n x_i e_i##.

Using these definitions and your notation for inner products, we see that
$$\langle x|y\rangle =\bigg\langle\sum_{i=1}^n x_i e_i\bigg| \sum_{j=1}^n y_j e_j\bigg\rangle =\sum_{i=1}^n \sum_{j=1}^n x_i^* y_j\langle e_i|e_j\rangle =\sum_{i=1}^n x_i^* y_i.$$

Likes RJLiberator
Ah, Fredrik! Beautiful explanation.

bowdown+(1).gif

bowdown+(1).gif

http://www.kbbforums.com/images/smilies/bowdown+(1).gif

Related to Simple Inner Product Clarification

1. What is an inner product?

An inner product is a mathematical operation that takes in two vectors and returns a scalar value. It is a generalization of the dot product and is used to measure the angle between two vectors or to project one vector onto another.

2. What is a simple inner product?

A simple inner product is a specific type of inner product that is defined for real or complex vector spaces. It follows the basic properties of an inner product, such as linearity and positive definiteness, but does not have any additional structures or symmetries.

3. How is the inner product calculated?

The inner product is calculated by taking the sum of the products of the corresponding components of the two vectors. For example, if we have two vectors, A = [a1, a2, a3] and B = [b1, b2, b3], their inner product would be a1*b1 + a2*b2 + a3*b3.

4. What is the significance of the inner product in mathematics?

The inner product has many applications in mathematics, including vector calculus, linear algebra, and functional analysis. It is used to define norms, orthogonality, and projections in these areas and plays a crucial role in many mathematical concepts and theorems.

5. How is the inner product related to the dot product?

The inner product is a generalization of the dot product, which is only defined for real vector spaces. The dot product is a special case of the inner product, where the vectors are real and the inner product is simply the sum of the products of the corresponding components. However, in complex vector spaces, the inner product and dot product are not equivalent.