Simple Harmonics - Kind of wierd

• Thread starter kevinr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Harmonics
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem about a 1.30 kg mass on a spring with displacement given as a function of time. The original problem asks to find the position of the mass at t = 1.00s. The equation given is x(t) = (7.40 cm)cos[(4.16 s^-1)t - 2.42], with additional information such as T, k, Vmax, and Fmax provided. The person attempted to solve the problem by plugging in t = 1, but it was incorrect. They then realized they needed to work in radians instead of degrees, and after doing so, they were able to confirm the correct answer.
kevinr
[SOLVED] Simple Harmonics - Kind of wierd

Homework Statement

Question:
A 1.30 kg mass on a spring has displacement as a function of time given by the equation:

[tex]x\left( t \right) = \left( {7.40\;{\rm{ cm}}} \right)\,\cos\:\left[ {\left( {4.16\;{\rm{ s}}^{ - 1} } \right)t - 2.42} \right].[/tex]

Find the position of the mass at t = 1.00s.

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so since this is a position equation, i figured that i would just plugin 1 for t and get the answer. But that seems to be wrong and i can't figure out why. (i did change 7.4 cm to m).

I figured out other parts for this equation to be:
T = 1.51s
k = 22.5 N/m
Vmax = .308 m/s
Fmax = 1.67 N

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

Well, if you have a position equation that is only a function of time, then yes, you should be able to plug in the time and get the position.

So

Is this an equation that was given to you, or is this an equation you derived from the problem? You may have made a mistake in an earlier step. What exactly did the original problem say?

Its an equation given to me.

Problem said exactly what i posted. Everything was given to me and everything is correct.

When i solve this: i get .073965879

Can anyone confirm this? I tried that and it was wrong. (my calculator is in degrees mode - i think that's right)

Hello,

Well, I get the same number in degrees mode, but you probably want to be working in radians, as this is the unit typically used for these types of things. Try radians.

What answer are you looking to get?

O ok it works in radians.

Thanks!

Related to Simple Harmonics - Kind of wierd

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where an object oscillates back and forth around a central equilibrium point, with a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point.

What are some examples of simple harmonic motion?

Some examples of simple harmonic motion include a mass on a spring, a pendulum, and a vibrating guitar string.

What is the formula for calculating simple harmonic motion?

The formula for calculating simple harmonic motion is x(t) = A sin(ωt + φ), where x(t) is the displacement from equilibrium at time t, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

How is simple harmonic motion related to the concept of resonance?

Simple harmonic motion is related to the concept of resonance because when a system is driven at its natural frequency, it will experience a large amplitude of oscillation. This can lead to destructive interference and cause the system to vibrate with a large amplitude, which is known as resonance.

What are the applications of simple harmonic motion in real life?

Simple harmonic motion has many practical applications, such as in pendulum clocks, musical instruments, and shock absorbers in cars. It is also used to model the motion of objects in space, such as planets orbiting around the sun.