Simple Harmonic Motion with Damping and Driving

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of damped and driven oscillation, specifically in the context of a spring undergoing motion. The speaker is asked to explain qualitatively what these terms mean and provide any noteworthy information for answering concept based questions. The solution to this is to set up equations for a damped harmonic oscillator and plot the position in function of time. Damped oscillation refers to a decrease in amplitude over time due to damping forces, while driven oscillation involves a powered oscillator imparting energy to maintain the oscillation. This is similar to tuning into a specific frequency on a radio station. There are simulations available online to better understand this concept.
TimeInquirer
Hello, I was asked by my professor today to graph the motion, as well as the energies, of a spring that undergoes driven and/or damped oscillation; however, I was unable to because I do not have a very good idea of how they work. Can someone explain to me, qualitatively, what it means to have a damped or driven oscillation? Also, anything note worthy of knowing to answer concept based questions. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to solve basic differential equations? Then you can derive the motion graphs yourself. By a damped oscillator in general one means an oscillator where the damping force goes linearly with the velocity.

I do know how to solve the basic differential equations. However, I do not know how to get to the motion graphs. Can you please explain?

First you have to set up the equations for a damped harmonic oscillator then:

##mx''(t)+bx'(t)+kx(t)=F(t)## where ##F(t)## is the driving force that one can choose. A simply damped harmonic oscillator will have ##F(t)=0##, a driven damped usually has ##F(t)=F_0 cos(wt)## but in principle can be any function of time.

Based on the solution of the differential equation you can find the function ##x(t)## and thus graph the position in function of time. A tip I will give is that in ##F(t)=0## you will have three different kind of cases you need to seperately consider and for ##F(t)=F_0cos(wt)## you can find the solution after stabilization by assuming that the solution ##x(t)## is a harmonic oscillation with the same frequency as the driving force but a different phase.

Likes TimeInquirer
"Can someone explain to me, qualitatively, what it means to have a damped or driven oscillation?"

damped would be a mass on a spring oscillating in a jar of honey, it amplitude would diminish with an exponential envelope.

ie; amplitude(t) = (decaying exponential)X(sine wave)

amplitude(t) = e-at*cos(t)

the damping is held up there in the factor "a"

sorry not good at Latex or typing in pretty math functions and you only asked for qualitative.

all real motion is damped to some extent as without energy input the oscillation would die to zero given enough time.

a driven oscillator is one connected to a powered oscillator that replaces the energy lost to damping forces.

the powered oscillator will impart the most energy to the driven oscillator at a specific frequency, not unlike tuning to a radio station.

that is my newbish take on it.

a simple search will find free simulations of this stuff on the intertubes

Last edited:
Likes TimeInquirer

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion with Damping and Driving

1. What is simple harmonic motion with damping and driving?

Simple harmonic motion with damping and driving is a type of oscillatory motion in which an object moves back and forth around a central equilibrium point. The motion is affected by both damping, which is a force that opposes the motion, and driving, which is a force that causes the motion.

2. How does damping affect simple harmonic motion?

Damping affects simple harmonic motion by gradually reducing the amplitude, or maximum displacement, of the oscillations. This is due to the damping force, which acts in the opposite direction of the motion and causes the object to lose energy over time. As a result, the oscillations become smaller and eventually stop.

3. What is the role of driving in simple harmonic motion with damping and driving?

The driving force in simple harmonic motion with damping and driving is responsible for maintaining the motion of the object. This force is usually applied externally and can be adjusted to control the frequency and amplitude of the oscillations. Without a driving force, the object would eventually come to rest due to the damping force.

4. How is the frequency of simple harmonic motion affected by damping and driving?

In general, the frequency of simple harmonic motion with damping and driving is lower than that of undamped simple harmonic motion. This is because the damping force reduces the amplitude and the driving force may not be able to compensate for the lost energy. The exact relationship between frequency, damping, and driving force depends on the specific parameters of the system.

5. What are some real-world examples of simple harmonic motion with damping and driving?

Some examples of simple harmonic motion with damping and driving include a pendulum in air, a mass on a spring moving through a fluid, and a car on a bumpy road. These systems all exhibit oscillatory motion that is affected by both damping and driving forces. Other examples can be found in musical instruments, such as the strings of a guitar or the reeds of a woodwind instrument.