Simple Harmonic Motion - what is its new period

In summary, the original uniform meter stick was hung from a thin wire and oscillated with a period of 5 seconds. After being sawed off to a length of 0.76 meters and rebalanced, the new period of oscillation was found to be 3.31 seconds. There may have been an error in using the equation for moment of inertia, and the height may need to be taken into account.
mattmannmf
A uniform meter stick is hung at its center from a thin wire. It is twisted and oscillates with a period of 5 s. The meter stick is then sawed off to a length of 0.76 m, rebalanced at its center, and set into oscillation.

what is its new period
I= 1/12 mL^2

equation: T= 2 pi * sqrt (I/k)
where T= 5
L= 1

I solved for K in terms of m (mass)...where i got k=7.599 m

then i replugged it into the same equation but where
T= unknown (trying to find)
L=.76

the mass cancels out and my answer gives me 3.8... which is wrong when i checked.

The only thing i can see is that I am using the wrong "I" for using the same equation 2nd time when i replugged it in. Should i be using the parallel axis theorem where

I= 1/12 mL^2 + Md^2
(since its not revolving around its center of mass)
L=1
d= .76

when i tried that i got my answer to be 6.28...wrong again

Attachments

• showme.pl.gif
    showme.pl.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 482
Physics news on Phys.org
The eqn for I for a rectangular plate is m(l^2+h^2)/12 where l and h are length and height respectively. It is revolving about the center of mass in both cases so no need for parallel axis theorum. You may need to solve for height, if the factor 0.76^3 isn't giving the right answer (remember the mass is being reduced by 24% as well).

BTW, neglecting the height, I got an answer of T=3.31s

Last edited:
It seems like you are on the right track with using the parallel axis theorem. However, the formula for the moment of inertia of a uniform meter stick is actually I=1/12 mL^2, where m is the mass of the meter stick and L is the length. So for the new length of 0.76 m, the moment of inertia would be I=1/12 * m * (0.76)^2. You can then use this value for I in the equation T=2pi*sqrt(I/k) to solve for the new period. Hope this helps!

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion - what is its new period

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium position, with a constant period and amplitude, under the influence of a restoring force.

2. How is the period of SHM affected by changes in the object's mass?

The period of SHM is not affected by changes in the object's mass. It only depends on the spring constant and the mass attached to the spring. This means that two objects with different masses attached to the same spring will have the same period of SHM.

3. What is the formula for calculating the period of SHM?

The formula for calculating the period of SHM is T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant. This formula is derived from the equation of motion for SHM, which is x = Acos(ωt), where x is the displacement, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and t is the time.

4. Can the period of SHM be changed?

The period of SHM can be changed by altering the spring constant, which can be done by changing the stiffness or length of the spring. The period can also be changed by changing the mass attached to the spring. However, the period remains constant as long as the restoring force and the amplitude remain constant.

5. What factors influence the period of SHM?

The period of SHM is influenced by the spring constant and the mass attached to the spring. It is also affected by external factors such as friction and air resistance, which can decrease the amplitude and therefore change the period. The initial displacement and velocity of the object can also affect the period of SHM.