Simple Harmonic Motion of a hanging spring

In summary: But this is by no means a guarantee that it's right, as I have no idea of the units.In summary, the object in the given scenario has an angular frequency of 11.4 and a spring constant of 0.075. The amplitude is 0.1 and the initial phase is 0. Using these values, the velocity of the object 3 seconds after being released is approximately -0.322 m/s.
Winegar12

Homework Statement

A 450 g object oscillates from a vertically hanging light spring once every .55 s. The object is released with the spring compressed by 10 cm from the equilibrium position. What is the velocity of the object 3.00 s after it is released?

Homework Equations

v=-[tex]\omega[/tex]Asin([tex]\omega[/tex]t+[tex]\phi[/tex]0)
[tex]\Delta[/tex]L=mg/k

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I have found that [tex]\omega[/tex] is equal to 11.4. I tried to figure out k by putting it into the 2nd equation and found that it is equal to .075. I then subtracted that from .1 m (10 cm) which I thought was suppose to give me the A which I found to be .025. Obviously t is 3 s. I thought for [tex]\phi[/tex] it was equal to pi, but apparently I am wrong. Because when I put it into the equation to get velocity the answer is wrong. So I'm pretty sure that I have my angular frequency right, but I am either wrong on my amplitude (A) or on [tex]\phi[/tex]. But I'm not really sure. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your amplitude is 0.1, the amplitude is how far it is compressed at the starting point by conservation of energy. [itex] \phi [/itex] is 0 as your intial position is at the position where amplitude is max i.e. where [itex] \omega t + \phi = 0 [/itex] and then you should be able to get an answer.

I got -1.10 as an answer

I tried using 0 as well, but that answer isn't right either. I know the final answer is -.335 m/s...

Amplitude is definitely 0, otherwise we need a new source of energy, as the mass is at rest at t=0, and [itex] \phi [/itex] must be similarly so for the same reason as above.

I've just noticed that I used cos instead of sin in my original answer, using sin I get an answer of -0.322m/s which is a bit better.

Based on the given information, it seems that you have correctly calculated the angular frequency, \omega, and the spring constant, k. However, it appears that you have made a mistake in calculating the amplitude, A. The amplitude of a simple harmonic motion is equal to the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position, which in this case is 10 cm. Therefore, the amplitude should be 0.1 m, not 0.025 m. Additionally, the phase angle, \phi, is not equal to \pi in this case. The phase angle represents the initial position of the object and is dependent on the initial conditions of the system. Since the object is released from a compressed position, the phase angle should be 0. Therefore, the correct equation for the velocity of the object at t = 3 s would be:

v = -(11.4)(0.1)sin(11.4(3)+0) = -1.14 m/s

I would also suggest double checking your calculations and units to ensure accuracy.

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion of a hanging spring

What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around a central equilibrium point with a constant amplitude and frequency.

What factors affect the period of a hanging spring's oscillation?

The period of a hanging spring's oscillation is affected by its mass, spring constant, and the length of the spring. The heavier the mass, the larger the spring constant, and the longer the spring, the longer the period.

How can the spring constant of a hanging spring be determined?

The spring constant of a hanging spring can be determined by measuring the force required to stretch or compress the spring a certain distance. The formula for the spring constant is k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the applied force, and x is the displacement.

What is the relationship between the period and frequency of a hanging spring's oscillation?

The period and frequency of a hanging spring's oscillation are inversely proportional. This means that as the period increases, the frequency decreases and vice versa. The relationship is described by the formula T = 1/f, where T is the period and f is the frequency.

How does the amplitude affect the motion of a hanging spring?

The amplitude of a hanging spring's motion determines the range of its oscillation. The larger the amplitude, the farther the spring will stretch or compress from its equilibrium point. However, the period and frequency of the motion will remain constant regardless of the amplitude.