Simple Harmonic Motion - Acceleration and Velocity

In summary, the displacement equation is x = 8.0 cos(28*pi*t) where t is the time in seconds since the particle started moving. The problem is that the book asks for the displacement, velocity and acceleration at 0.025 seconds, which is outside of the time frame that the equation covers. I got the correct equation by calculating the displacement, velocity and acceleration at 0.047 seconds, which is within the time frame of the equation. My answers for the acceleration and velocity however, do not agree with the book. Can anyone help me spot my errors?
Peter G.
Hi,

9 (a) Write down an equation for the displacement of a particle undergoing SHM with an amplitude equal to 8.0 cm and a frequency of 14 Hz, assuming that at t = 0 displacement is = to 8.0 cm and the particle is at rest.

What I got (and this agrees with the book) was: x = 8.0 cos (28pi*t)

The problem is the book then asks for the displacement, velocity and acceleration at 0.025 seconds.

I simply plugged in the numbers for the displacement and got the -4.7 cm the book gets as well. My answers for the acceleration and velocity however, do not agree with the book. Can anyone help me spot my errors?

a = -ω2x
a = -(28pi)2x(-0.047)

I get around 36 while the book gets 360.

But, the difference in our velocity results is more significant:
v= ±ω√(xo2-x2)
v =±(28pi) √(0.082 + 0.0472)

The book gets negative -5.7ms while I get positive or negative 8.16

Thanks,
Peter G.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like it could be finger problems :smile: Can you break out the intermediate steps in your calculations? Start with your expression for acceleration; what value do you calculate for (28pi)2?

Argh... You are right! I got 360 now. This is so creepy and embarrassing. I tried several times and always got 36... sorry :redface: Do you think I did the same thing for the velocity or I made another mistake?

Peter G. said:
Argh... You are right! I got 360 now. This is so creepy and embarrassing. I tried several times and always got 36... sorry :redface: Do you think I did the same thing for the velocity or I made another mistake?

Same thing, I'm afraid... more finger problems!

Peter G. said:
Hi,

9 (a) Write down an equation for the displacement of a particle undergoing SHM with an amplitude equal to 8.0 cm and a frequency of 14 Hz, assuming that at t = 0 displacement is = to 8.0 cm and the particle is at rest.

What I got (and this agrees with the book) was: x = 8.0 cos (28pi*t)

The problem is the book then asks for the displacement, velocity and acceleration at 0.025 seconds.

I simply plugged in the numbers for the displacement and got the -4.7 cm the book gets as well. My answers for the acceleration and velocity however, do not agree with the book. Can anyone help me spot my errors?

a = -ω2x
a = -(28pi)2x(-0.047)

I get around 36 while the book gets 360.

But, the difference in our velocity results is more significant:
v= ±ω√(xo2-x2)
v =±(28pi) √(0.082 + 0.0472)

The book gets negative -5.7ms while I get positive or negative 8.16

Thanks,
Peter G.

Check your arithmetic, when I evaluated a = -(28pi)2x(-0.047) it gave 363.7 ??

If I leave out pi i get 36.8

Hi,

Sorry, was a bit busy for the last couple of hours. Yes, I managed to correct the acceleration but I am having a hard time with the velocity.

Peter G. said:
Hi,

Sorry, was a bit busy for the last couple of hours. Yes, I managed to correct the acceleration but I am having a hard time with the velocity.

28*pi = 87.965

xo2 - x2 = 0.082 - (-0.04702)2 = 4.189x10-3

87.965 * (4.189x10-3)(1/2) = 5.693

If you're having trouble calculating an entire expression in one go, break it up into several smaller steps where you can estimate the intermediate values and check their plausibility as you proceed.

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion - Acceleration and Velocity

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where an object moves back and forth in a straight line with a constant frequency and amplitude. It occurs when a restoring force, such as gravity or a spring force, is proportional to the displacement of the object.

2. How is acceleration related to simple harmonic motion?

In simple harmonic motion, acceleration is directly proportional to displacement and is in the opposite direction of displacement. This means that as the object moves away from its equilibrium position, the acceleration pulls it back towards the equilibrium position.

3. What is the relationship between velocity and amplitude in simple harmonic motion?

In simple harmonic motion, the velocity of the object is at its maximum when it passes through the equilibrium position and decreases to zero as it reaches its maximum displacement, or amplitude. The velocity then changes direction and increases again as the object moves back towards the equilibrium position.

4. How does the mass of an object affect simple harmonic motion?

The mass of an object does not affect the frequency or period of simple harmonic motion. However, it does affect the amplitude of the motion. A larger mass will have a smaller amplitude, while a smaller mass will have a larger amplitude.

5. Can simple harmonic motion occur without a restoring force?

No, simple harmonic motion requires a restoring force to occur. Without a restoring force, the object would continue in a straight line with a constant velocity and there would be no periodic motion.