Simple Gravitation - 1 problem

• Thread starter Stuffy01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravitation
In summary, the gravitational field at the fourth corner due to the objects is (G/l^2)(M/2+sqrt(2)m).
Stuffy01
Simple Gravitation - With Answer - Help me work the middle steps

Homework Statement

Three objects -- two of mass m and one of mass M -- are located at three corners of a square of edge length l as in Figure P13.23. Find the gravitational field g at the fourth corner due to these objects. (Express your answers in terms of the edge length l, the masses m and M, and the gravitational constant G).

Homework Equations

Find the magnitude and direction of the gravitational field g.

The Attempt at a Solution

The direction is 45 degrees (measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis)

G((4m+M)/(2l^2)) was the final simplified answer I got for the magnitude, but it was wrong.

Attachments

• p14-03alt.gif
    p14-03alt.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 704
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Associated work:

Base equation: Gravitational field force = GMm/(l^2)

I see three gravitational forces at work:
Gm/l^2 on the y-axis

Gm/l^2 on the x axis

GM/((sqrt(2) times l)^2)

Add all three so 2Gm/2l^2 + 2Gm/2l^2 + GM/2l^2 = (G(4m+M))/(2((l)^2))

Welcome to PF.

Careful, as in Why do all the denominators look alike when you showed the diagonal object to have longer radius?

Never mind i see what you did.

Thanks. See any easy mistakes or did I go the wrong direction?

No I found no mistakes so I was sort of head scratching on this one, hoping someone else might see a problem if there is one. Of course these are vector fields, which might be the issue.

Last edited:
I GOT THE ANSWER FROM A FRIEND:

(G/l^2)(M/2+sqrt(2)m)

Can anyone help me work it out now that the answer is known?

It is to do with the fact that the fields are vector fields.

You can't just arithmetically add the 3 fields up, you have to consider their direction. It's like if you push a block north with 1N and east with 1N the overall force is [tex]\sqrt{2}N[/tex] in the NE direction, not 2N. So I'd recommend drawing a diagram and doing a bit of pythagoras.

No problem, resolve the diagonal force into x and y components which can be added like scalars

cos and sin are both sqrt(2)/2 so mult your diag. expression and add to the x and y components from other forces, then calculate magnitude by taking the sqrt of sum of squares. Falls out like honey in a bucket. I suspect you'll never make this mistake again. good problem and post.

Hi Guys, i guess this is the answer, I'm not sure! but? if someone has a comment reply pls.xxx
tanθ = gy / gx
= [ Gm / L2 + G M /2L2 sinθ ] / [ Gm /L2 + G M / 2L2 cosθ ]

θ = tan-1 { [ Gm / L2 + G M / 2L2 sinθ ] / [ Gm /L2 + G M / 2L2 cosθ ]}

Related to Simple Gravitation - 1 problem

1. What is simple gravitation?

Simple gravitation is a fundamental concept in physics that describes the force of attraction between two objects with mass. It is a universal force that exists between all objects with mass and is responsible for phenomena such as the orbit of planets around the sun.

2. How is simple gravitation calculated?

The force of gravitation between two objects can be calculated using the equation F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the difference between simple gravitation and general relativity?

Simple gravitation is a classical theory that describes the force of gravity as a purely attractive force between two objects with mass. General relativity, on the other hand, is a more advanced theory that describes gravity as the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy.

4. How does simple gravitation affect the motion of objects?

Simple gravitation causes objects to be attracted to each other and move towards each other. The strength of the gravitational force depends on the masses of the objects and the distance between them. Objects with greater mass will experience a stronger gravitational force, while objects that are farther apart will experience a weaker gravitational force.

5. Can simple gravitation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, simple gravitation can be observed in many everyday situations. For example, when you drop an object, it falls towards the ground due to the force of gravity. The moon orbiting around the Earth and the Earth orbiting around the sun are also examples of simple gravitation in action.