Simple Free Body Force Diagram + Friction Question

In summary, the person is asking if they need to add the weight component of the opposing force of mgsin3 to the acceleration force of 38040 in order to calculate the friction force. They say that F_net is made up of the applied pulling force and the weight component, so F_friction would be 38040+3077.4=41117.4N. However, because the person does not know the values for mgsin3, they cannot calculate F_friction.
Procrastinate
I just want to check if I am doing the right thing with this force diagram.

Forgetting the force of friction for the moment, if I know that the body is accelerating at 6.34ms^-2 with a mass of 6000kg; and the opposing force of mgsin3 is 3077.4N, then would the I have to add that to the acceleration force? Therefore Force acceleration would be 38040 + 3077.4 = 41117.4N...

My actual question is about friction. Do I have sufficient values to calculate the Force of friction or the friction co-efficient?

F of Normal = mu x N

Attachments

• Force.jpg
    Force.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 449
Physics news on Phys.org
Procrastinate said:
I just want to check if I am doing the right thing with this force diagram.

Forgetting the force of friction for the moment, if I know that the body is accelerating at 6.34ms^-2 with a mass of 6000kg; and the opposing force of mgsin3 is 3077.4N, then would the I have to add that to the acceleration force? Therefore Force acceleration would be 38040 + 3077.4 = 41117.4N...

My actual question is about friction. Do I have sufficient values to calculate the Force of friction or the friction co-efficient?

F of Normal = mu x N
Your terminology for 'acceleration force is a bit unorthodox. It is most always best to identify all real forces acting on a body, determine the NET of those forces in the x and y direction, and apply Newton's laws in that direction (F_net =ma, which, for the x direction, is F_x_net = 38040 ). So what are all the forces acting in the x direction (including friction)? Do you have enough info to solve for the friction force?

PhanthomJay said:
Your terminology for 'acceleration force is a bit unorthodox. It is most always best to identify all real forces acting on a body, determine the NET of those forces in the x and y direction, and apply Newton's laws in that direction (F_net =ma, which, for the x direction, is F_x_net = 38040 ). So what are all the forces acting in the x direction (including friction)? Do you have enough info to solve for the friction force?

I thought F_x_net would be 41117.4N.

Um, I don't think so.

Procrastinate said:
I thought F_x_net would be 41117.4N.

Um, I don't think so.
No, and you are looking at 2 cases, with and without friction, so let's not confuse the two. When you look at the problem as if it were written without friction, the net force is 38040, which is made up of the applied pulling force acting up the incline, and the weight component acting down the incline. Thus
F_net =ma = 38040
F_applied - mgsin3 = 38040
F_applied - 3077 = 38040
F_applied = 41117 N
which i think is what you were trying to say before; but you were missing the concept of an applied force (by a person, or machine, etc.) required up the plane inorder to overcome gravity and accelearte the block.

Now for the real problem with friction, use the same approach and respond to your own question> do you have enough info to solve for the friction force?

PhanthomJay said:
No, and you are looking at 2 cases, with and without friction, so let's not confuse the two. When you look at the problem as if it were written without friction, the net force is 38040, which is made up of the applied pulling force acting up the incline, and the weight component acting down the incline. Thus
F_net =ma = 38040
F_applied - mgsin3 = 38040
F_applied - 3077 = 38040
F_applied = 41117 N
which i think is what you were trying to say before; but you were missing the concept of an applied force (by a person, or machine, etc.) required up the plane inorder to overcome gravity and accelearte the block.

Now for the real problem with friction, use the same approach and respond to your own question> do you have enough info to solve for the friction force?

F_net = 38040 = ma
F_applied - mgsin3 - F_friction = 38040
F_applied - F_friction = 41117N
F_applied - F_normal*mu = 41117N

I have two unknown variables now.

Procrastinate said:
F_net = 38040 = ma
F_applied - mgsin3 - F_friction = 38040
F_applied - F_friction = 41117N
F_applied - F_normal*mu = 41117N

I have two unknown variables now.
yes, good. So can you solve for the friction force or not??

PhanthomJay said:
yes, good. So can you solve for the friction force or not??

I would say no.

Procrastinate said:
I would say no.
And so would I:cry:

Related to Simple Free Body Force Diagram + Friction Question

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object in a given situation. It helps to simplify complex systems and analyze the effects of different forces on an object.

2. How do you construct a free body diagram?

To construct a free body diagram, you need to identify all the external forces acting on the object. These forces can include weight, normal force, tension, friction, and any other forces that are involved in the situation. Then, draw a simple diagram of the object and label each force with an arrow, indicating the direction and magnitude of the force.

3. What is friction and how does it affect an object?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. It is caused by the interaction between the surface of the object and the surface it is in contact with. Friction can either help or hinder the motion of an object, depending on the direction and strength of the force.

4. How do you calculate the net force on an object in a free body diagram?

The net force on an object can be calculated by summing up all the forces acting on the object and taking into account their direction and magnitude. If the net force is zero, the object will be at rest or moving at a constant velocity. If the net force is non-zero, it will cause the object to accelerate in the direction of the net force.

5. How does friction affect the motion of an object in a free body diagram?

In a free body diagram, friction can either help or hinder the motion of an object. If the forces of friction are greater than the applied forces, the object will experience a net force in the opposite direction, causing it to slow down or come to a stop. If the applied forces are greater than the forces of friction, the object will experience a net force in the direction of motion, causing it to speed up or maintain a constant velocity.