Simple Fluid mechanics question, Need Help

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems in fluid mechanics that involve finding the force done by water on a vertical wall under the level of water. One problem is solved by taking the integral of the gauge pressure and multiplying it by the area, while the other problem also takes the integral of the gauge pressure but adds the force due to atmospheric pressure. The difference between the two scenarios is that one problem specifically asks for the force done by water, while the other asks for the total force. The main difference between these two is that one only considers the change in force under normal circumstances, while the other takes into account the force from atmospheric pressure as well.
Bassel
I've been solving fluid mechanics problems and i encountered two problems that made no sense to me. Both problems that ask about the force done by water on a VERTICAL wall under the level of water. One problem was solved by taking the integral of the gauge pressure and multiplying it by the area while the other was solved by also taking the integral of the gauge pressure and multiplying it by the area of the wall but after finding this value, the force due to atmospheric pressure was added. What happened There?? why two similar cases are solved in different meanings, anyone got any idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
The only difference that I can see between these two scenarios is that one is using gage pressure and the other is using absolute pressure. Maybe the problem statements have a hint as to why they were solved that way? My only guess as to why this was the case was possibly because one problem statement specifically asked for the force done by the water where as the other one asked for the total force?

YESS EXACTLY after looking to the problems again i realized that one asked about the total force and the other asked about the force done by water. but the problem is i don't know the difference and that is why i didn't realize the difference. Can You please give me a summary about the differences please between asking about force done by water and total force ? thanks a lot man sorry for bothering you.

Atmospheric pressure is the pressure caused by the atmosphere which is typically considered to be ~101325 Pa. Gage pressure is basically the difference between this number and the pressure that the point of interest is at since "normal conditions" are at atmospheric pressure. The force that is being applied only from the water is the force from the gage pressure; however, this value does not take into account the pressure that the object would typically experience if the water wasn't there and therefore does not take into account this force. If there was no water the wall would still see some force on it because of atmospheric pressure so if you want to find the total force you have to take that force into account as well. The main difference is one only asks for the change in force under normal circumstances where as the other one asks you for the total.

Likes 1 person

There are a few possible explanations for why these two problems were solved in different ways. One possibility is that the problems were asking for slightly different information. For example, the first problem may have been asking for the total force exerted by the water on the wall, while the second problem may have been asking for the net force, taking into account the atmospheric pressure.

Another possibility is that the two problems were using different assumptions or simplifications. In fluid mechanics, there are often multiple ways to approach a problem and different assumptions can lead to different solutions. For example, one problem may have assumed that the atmospheric pressure was negligible, while the other problem took it into account.

It's also possible that there was an error in one of the solutions. It's important to carefully check all assumptions and calculations when solving fluid mechanics problems, as small errors can lead to significantly different results.

In any case, it's always a good idea to double check your work and try to understand the underlying concepts and assumptions behind a problem. If you're still unsure, it may be helpful to consult with a professor or classmate for further clarification.

Related to Simple Fluid mechanics question, Need Help

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of fluids (liquids and gases) at rest and in motion. It involves the study of how fluids flow, how they interact with their surroundings, and how they can be controlled.

2. What is a simple fluid mechanics question?

A simple fluid mechanics question is a problem that involves using fundamental principles of fluid mechanics to analyze and solve a given scenario. This can include questions about fluid dynamics, fluid properties, and the behavior of fluids in different situations.

3. What are some common applications of fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics has a wide range of applications, including in engineering (e.g. designing airplanes, cars, and ships), environmental science (e.g. studying ocean currents and atmospheric flows), and biomedical sciences (e.g. analyzing blood flow in the body). It is also used in everyday objects such as faucets, sprinklers, and pumps.

4. How can I solve a simple fluid mechanics question?

To solve a simple fluid mechanics question, you will need to have a good understanding of the basic principles and equations of fluid mechanics. You will also need to carefully analyze the given scenario, draw diagrams, and use appropriate equations to solve for the desired quantities. Practice and familiarity with different types of problems is also helpful.

5. Are there any common misconceptions about fluid mechanics?

One common misconception about fluid mechanics is that fluids always flow in a straight line. In reality, fluid flow can be very complex and can involve vortices, eddies, and other irregular patterns. Another misconception is that fluids are always incompressible, when in fact, some fluids (like air) can be compressed under certain conditions.