Simple explanation for cross section ratio

In summary, the conversation discusses a simple explanation for why the ratio of the cross-sections for the processes $$pp \to \pi^+d$$ and $$np \to \pi^0d$$ is equal to 2. The explanation is based on the assumption of isospin symmetry and the use of mathematical knowledge relating to the representations of the SU(2) group. By comparing the two processes and the amplitudes, it is shown that the ratio of the cross-sections is equal to the ratio of the corresponding matrix elements squared, resulting in a value of 2. This is a simplified method compared to the actual computation of the cross-sections using Feynman diagrams.
kelly0303
Hello! Is there any simple (i.e. using some physics arguments, without actually doing the math) explanation for why $$\sigma(pp \to \pi^+d)/\sigma(np\to\pi^0d)=2$$ where d is the deuteron? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what do you mean with "no math" there is a way to deduce using isospin symmetry and little assumptions. If you compare the amount of math of this method compared with the actual computation of a cross-section, this is almost without maths, but you still need some mathematical knowledge of the representations of SU(2) group. Is that what you want?

Likes vanhees71
Gaussian97 said:
Well, what do you mean with "no math" there is a way to deduce using isospin symmetry and little assumptions. If you compare the amount of math of this method compared with the actual computation of a cross-section, this is almost without maths, but you still need some mathematical knowledge of the representations of SU(2) group. Is that what you want?
Thank you! yes, i would like something like that, based on some symmetries, rather than actually blindly calculating some feynman diagrams.

Well, then the idea is:
Because the two scatterings are almost identical (they only differ in the exchange of ##p\leftrightarrow n## and ##\pi^0 \leftrightarrow \pi^+##), then we expect that the cross-sections will be like
$$\sigma(pp\rightarrow \pi^+ d) = \sigma_0 |\mathscr{M_{pp}}|^2$$
$$\sigma(pn\rightarrow \pi^0 d) = \sigma_0 |\mathscr{M_{pn}}|^2$$
with ##\sigma_0## the same constant for both processes. Also, the amplitude will be ##\mathscr{M}_{i\rightarrow f}= \left<f\right|T\left|i\right>##. Again, if isospin is a symmetry we expect
$$\mathscr{M}_{pp\rightarrow \pi^+ d} = \mathscr{M}_0 \left<\pi^+ d\right.\left|pp\right>$$
$$\mathscr{M}_{pn\rightarrow \pi^0 d} = \mathscr{M}_0 \left<\pi^0 d\right.\left|pn\right>$$
So, the ratio between the two cross-sections will be simply
$$\frac{\sigma(pp\rightarrow \pi^+ d)}{\sigma(pn\rightarrow \pi^0 d)}=\left|\frac{\left<\pi^+ d\right.\left|pp\right>}{\left<\pi^0 d\right.\left|pn\right>}\right|^2$$.

Then, using that
$$\left|p\right>=\left|I=\frac{1}{2}, I_3 =\frac{1}{2} \right>$$
$$\left|n\right>=\left|I=\frac{1}{2}, I_3 =-\frac{1}{2} \right>$$
$$\left|\pi^+\right>=\left|I=1, I_3 =1 \right>$$
$$\left|\pi^0\right>=\left|I=1, I_3 =0 \right>$$
$$\left|d\right>=\left|I=0, I_3 =0 \right>$$
I let you compute the ##2##

• Informative
Likes ORF, vanhees71, mfb and 1 other person

Related to Simple explanation for cross section ratio

1. What is a cross section ratio?

A cross section ratio is a comparison of the area of a cross section of one object to the area of a cross section of another object. It is often used in physics and engineering to describe the relative sizes of different objects or to calculate probabilities in particle interactions.

2. How is a cross section ratio calculated?

A cross section ratio is calculated by dividing the area of the cross section of one object by the area of the cross section of the other object. The units of the cross section ratio will depend on the units used for the areas of the cross sections.

3. Why is a cross section ratio important?

A cross section ratio is important because it allows us to compare the sizes of different objects or to calculate the likelihood of particle interactions. It is also used in many scientific and engineering applications, such as in fluid dynamics and material science.

4. What is the difference between a cross section ratio and a cross section area?

A cross section ratio is a comparison of two cross section areas, while a cross section area is the area of a single cross section. The cross section ratio provides a relative measure, while the cross section area gives an absolute measure.

5. Can a cross section ratio be greater than 1?

Yes, a cross section ratio can be greater than 1. This indicates that the area of the cross section of one object is larger than the area of the cross section of the other object. A cross section ratio of 1 would indicate that the two objects have equal cross section areas.