Simple Experimental Error Problem

In summary, when dividing two values to find theta, the fractional uncertainties for each value should be calculated and then used to find the overall uncertainty for the angle through the formula \frac{\delta\theta}{\theta} = \sqrt{\delta^{2}_{r}+\delta^{2}_{d}}. This is typically done using fractional uncertainties rather than adding the experimental error margins together.
Lavace
I have two values:

r = 12.3 ± 0.2m
d = 0.57 ± 0.03mm

I want to divide the two values to find theta (d/r = theta), how do I go about this?
I assume that I add the experimental error margins together after the division of 12.3 and 0.57? Giving me:

4.63 x 10^-5 ± 2.0003m

Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot figure out what you've done here but 2.0003 m does not look like an appropriate uncertainty for an angle. The way this is usually done is through fractional uncertainties. The fractional uncertainty for the radius is

[tex]\delta_{r}= \frac{\delta r}{r} = \frac{0.2}{12.3} [/tex]

and for the arclength

[tex]\delta_{d}= \frac{\delta d}{d} = \frac{0.03}{0.57} [/tex]

Then the fractional uncertainty for the angle is

[tex]\frac{\delta\theta}{\theta} = \sqrt{\delta^{2}_{r}+\delta^{2}_{d}}[/tex]

For division of variables on would normally treat the erros like so.

[tex]\frac{\delta q}{q} = \sqrt{\left(\frac{\delta r}{r}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{\delta d}{d}\right)^2}[/tex]

Related to Simple Experimental Error Problem

1. What is a simple experimental error problem?

A simple experimental error problem is a scientific investigation or experiment in which there is a known source of error that may affect the results. These errors can come from a variety of sources, such as human error, equipment malfunction, or environmental factors.

2. How do you identify and address experimental errors?

To identify and address experimental errors, scientists carefully design their experiments and control for potential sources of error. They also repeat experiments multiple times to ensure the accuracy and consistency of their results. Additionally, data analysis techniques can be used to identify and correct for errors.

3. Why is it important to address experimental errors?

Addressing experimental errors is crucial because it allows scientists to accurately interpret their results and draw valid conclusions. Without addressing errors, the data collected may be unreliable and lead to incorrect conclusions.

4. Can experimental errors ever be completely eliminated?

No, it is impossible to completely eliminate all sources of experimental error. However, through careful experimental design and data analysis, scientists can minimize the impact of these errors on their results.

5. How can experimental errors be minimized?

To minimize experimental errors, scientists can use precise and well-calibrated equipment, carefully follow protocols and procedures, and control for external factors that may influence the results. They can also seek peer review and collaborate with other scientists to identify and address potential sources of error.