Simple Energy Levels confusion

In summary: Note that this equation is valid for any nucleus with integer spin, including the proton and neutron. The equation predicts that the difference in energy between higher energy levels should be less than the difference between lower energy levels.
alexgmcm
In the famous diagrams of the energy levels of a hydrogen atom it seems that the energy levels get closer together as they increase such that the difference in energy between higher energy levels is less than between lower ones. But working from the electron in a box approach we get the equation:

[tex]E_{n} = \left(\frac{h^2}{8mL^2} \right) n^2[/tex]
where n = 1,2,3...

So that would suggest that the energy levels would go E, 4E, 9E, 16E etc. which would mean that the gaps between the energy levels would increase? But that's different to most of the diagrams I've seen like http://www.avogadro.co.uk/light/bohr/atomspec.gif" which seem to show the energy levels getting closer together.

I found http://imgur.com/OYSV4.png" in my textbook which also suggests that the energy levels should get further apart not closer together. I know that is only considering rotational and not vibrational energies, but the vibrational energies are equally spaced and so would not lead to closer energy levels in combination.

I'm sure I've just missed something quite basic here which is so basic the books fail to mention what it is, so can someone please help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The potential for a hydrogen atom is different than the potential for particle in a box. Different potentials give you different energy levels.

So in general for atoms and molecules, do the energy levels get closer together as you move farther apart from the atom. That is, do the differences in energy between the energy levels decrease at higher energy levels?

alexgmcm said:
So in general for atoms and molecules, do the energy levels get closer together as you move farther apart from the atom. That is, do the differences in energy between the energy levels decrease at higher energy levels?
Yup. You can perform a preliminary derivation of the relation between the energy levels and 'n' using Bohr's semiclassical model. That should be available in any standard text. For the hydrogen atom, the relation is
[tex]E_{n} = - \frac{13.6}{n^{2}} eV[/tex]

Related to Simple Energy Levels confusion

1. What are simple energy levels?

Simple energy levels refer to the different energy states that an atom or molecule can exist in. These energy levels are quantized, meaning they can only have certain discrete values and cannot have any values in between. This concept is a key part of understanding atomic and molecular structure and behavior.

2. How do simple energy levels differ from complex energy levels?

Simple energy levels are distinct and well-defined energy states, while complex energy levels refer to a broader range of energy states that are more difficult to define. Simple energy levels are typically found in individual atoms or molecules, while complex energy levels can involve multiple atoms or molecules interacting with each other.

3. What causes confusion surrounding simple energy levels?

Confusion can arise when trying to understand the concept of quantized energy levels, as it may seem counterintuitive that energy cannot have any value in between the discrete levels. Additionally, the terminology used in discussing energy levels can be confusing, such as the use of terms like "ground state" and "excited state."

4. How are simple energy levels important in chemistry?

Simple energy levels play a crucial role in understanding chemical reactions and the behavior of atoms and molecules. They determine the energy required for reactions to occur and the wavelengths of light absorbed or emitted by atoms and molecules. This information is essential for fields such as spectroscopy and materials science.

5. Can simple energy levels be manipulated?

Yes, simple energy levels can be manipulated through various methods such as applying an external electric or magnetic field or changing the temperature. These manipulations can alter the energy levels and thus affect the behavior of atoms and molecules, leading to potential applications in areas such as energy storage and quantum computing.