Simple ECE First Order Network

In summary, the individual is trying to solve a network and find the equation for voltage at a certain time, but is having trouble finding the value for tau due to uncertainty about the equivalent resistance. They have attempted to solve the problem using different methods, but are still unsure. They are seeking a hint on how to find the total resistance when t>0 and have realized a mistake in their initial attempt.
Hashmeer

Homework Statement

I need to resolve this network and find the equation for voltage at some time, t'>0. I know how to find the equation, but I'm having trouble finding the value for tau because I'm not sure what the equivalent resistance is.

Homework Equations

tau = R*C

R1 = 4 k ohms
R2 = 7 k ohms
R3 = 2 k ohms
C = 101 microF

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried resolving the resistors in different ways, but I can't seem to figure out how they combine to find R equivalent.

I'm just looking for a hint as to how the total resistance can be found when t > 0.

Thanks!

Attachments

• HW Circuit.gif
    HW Circuit.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 500
Physics news on Phys.org
Hashmeer said:

Homework Statement

I need to resolve this network and find the equation for voltage at some time, t'>0. I know how to find the equation, but I'm having trouble finding the value for tau because I'm not sure what the equivalent resistance is.

Homework Equations

tau = R*C

R1 = 4 k ohms
R2 = 7 k ohms
R3 = 2 k ohms
C = 101 microF

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried resolving the resistors in different ways, but I can't seem to figure out how they combine to find R equivalent.

I'm just looking for a hint as to how the total resistance can be found when t > 0.

Thanks!

On a problem like this, I would just write the KCL at the top node, including the I = C dv/dt term for the capacitor current, and solve the differential equation in exponential form. The term in the exponential will be the time constant tau.

There may be easier ways to solve it, but doing it with the KCL should always work, and avoid errors if you simplify the "equivalent resistance" incorrectly.

Thanks for the tip. I actually just made a units mistake... milliseconds not seconds.

Related to Simple ECE First Order Network

1. What is a Simple ECE First Order Network?

A Simple ECE First Order Network is a type of electronic circuit that consists of one energy storage element, typically a capacitor or inductor, and one energy dissipative element, typically a resistor. It is commonly used in electronic systems to filter, amplify, and process signals.

2. How does a Simple ECE First Order Network work?

A Simple ECE First Order Network works by using the energy storage element to store energy and the energy dissipative element to release that energy. This creates a time delay in the circuit, which can be used to filter out certain frequencies or amplify signals.

3. What are the advantages of using a Simple ECE First Order Network?

Some advantages of using a Simple ECE First Order Network include its simplicity, low cost, and versatility. It can be easily implemented in various electronic systems and can be used for a wide range of applications such as audio amplification, signal processing, and control systems.

4. What are the limitations of a Simple ECE First Order Network?

One limitation of a Simple ECE First Order Network is that it can only provide a limited amount of amplification or filtering due to its single energy storage element. It also has a limited frequency range in which it can effectively operate.

5. How do you design a Simple ECE First Order Network?

To design a Simple ECE First Order Network, you first need to determine the circuit's purpose and specifications. Then, you can use circuit analysis techniques such as Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to calculate the values of the components needed. Finally, you can simulate and test the circuit to ensure it meets the desired performance.