Simple Dynamics Problem Requiring Explanation

In summary, the problem involves two boxes sliding down a slope at uniform intervals of time with uniform acceleration. The goal is to determine the initial release time and acceleration of the boxes. The equations of motion are used to solve the problem, where the time interval for the acceleration of each box is taken into account. The distance between the boxes after 1 second is also considered in the equations.
kspabo

Homework Statement

Boxes are placed on a slope at uniform intervals of time trelease and slide down the slope with uniform acceleration. Knowing that as a box B is released, the preceding box A has slid 6 meters down the slope and that 1 second later they are 10 meters apart, determine the following:

(a) The value of trelease

(b) The acceleration of the boxes.

Homework Equations

ΔV = a⋅Δt
Δx=Vi⋅t+½⋅a⋅t2
2⋅a⋅Δx=Vf2-Vi2

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem isn't actually homework, I'm just studying. I'm posting the solution to the problem because I simply don't understand how exactly they arrive at the equations that they do. Here it is:

http://i.imgur.com/oSyIFsm.png

For example, equation (2) doesn't make sense to me as t = tr + 1, yet in the problem t = 1. Also, how come in eqn. (3) they don't employ the 10 m @ t=tr+1? Why is Δx simply xA@tr+1?

Physics news on Phys.org
When using the equations of motion listed you need to put the time interval that the particle has been under that constant acceleration.
When Box B is released: Box A has already been traveling for "tr" time. Box B has traveled for "Zero" time.
After 1 second of releasing Box B: Box A has traveled for "tr time PLUS One extra second". Box B has only traveled for "1 second".

Coming to Eq. 3:
Notice that the diagram isn't drawn properly. After 1 second both the boxes would have traveled a certain distance from their initial position. The distance between them is given to be 10m. So you need to use (xb - xa) = 10 @t=tr+1.

That really clears it up. Thank you, I appreciate that.

Related to Simple Dynamics Problem Requiring Explanation

1. What is a simple dynamics problem?

A simple dynamics problem is a physics problem that involves the motion of objects under the influence of forces. These problems typically require the use of Newton's laws of motion and can involve concepts such as acceleration, velocity, and position.

2. Why is it important to understand dynamics?

Understanding dynamics is crucial for understanding the physical world around us. It allows us to explain and predict the motion of objects and systems, from everyday objects like cars and bicycles to more complex systems like planets and galaxies.

3. Can you provide an example of a simple dynamics problem?

Sure, an example of a simple dynamics problem would be calculating the acceleration of a ball rolling down an inclined plane. This problem would involve identifying the forces acting on the ball, such as gravity and friction, and using Newton's laws to determine the ball's acceleration.

4. What are some common misconceptions about dynamics?

One common misconception about dynamics is that objects in motion need a constant force to stay in motion. In reality, according to Newton's first law of motion, objects will continue moving at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

Another misconception is that heavier objects fall faster than lighter ones. In fact, in the absence of air resistance, all objects fall at the same rate due to the force of gravity.

5. How can understanding dynamics be applied in real life?

Understanding dynamics can be applied in many real-life situations, such as designing buildings and bridges, predicting the trajectory of projectiles, and understanding the motion of vehicles. It is also essential for fields such as engineering, aerospace, and sports science.