Simple Continued Fractions Question (I Think My Book Has a Mistake)

In summary, if the simple continued fraction expression of a rational number \alpha is [a_0; a_1, a_2, \dotsc, a_k] , then the simple continued fraction expression of \frac{1}{\alpha} is [0; a_1, a_2, \dotsc, a_k] . This can be shown by multiplying the numerator and denominator of \frac{1}{\alpha} by the simple continued fraction representation of \alpha and simplifying.
tylerc1991

Homework Statement

Show that if the simple continued fraction expression of the rational number [itex] \alpha [/itex], [itex] \alpha > 1 [/itex], is [itex] [a_0; a_1, a_2, \dotsc, a_k] [/itex], then the simple continued fraction expression of [itex] \frac{1}{\alpha} [/itex] is [itex] [0; a_1, a_2, \dotsc, a_k] [/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose [itex] \alpha [/itex] is a rational number greater than [itex] 1 [/itex] with simple continued fraction expression
[itex] \alpha = [a_0; a_1, a_2, \dotsc, a_k] = a_0 + \cfrac{1}{a_1 + \cfrac{1}{a_2 + \cfrac{1}{\ddots a_{k - 1} + \cfrac{1}{a_k}}}}. [/itex]
Then we see that [itex] \frac{1}{\alpha} [/itex] is also a rational number with simple continued fraction expression
[itex] \frac{1}{\alpha} = \cfrac{1}{a_0 + \cfrac{1}{a_1 + \cfrac{1}{a_2 + \cfrac{1}{\ddots a_{k - 1} + \cfrac{1}{a_k}}}}} = [0; a_0, a_1, \dotsc, a_k]. [/itex]

This is, of course, different than what the book says the solution should be. However, I don't see where I went wrong, if I did go wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Your solution is correct! The simple continued fraction representation of \frac{1}{\alpha} is indeed [0; a_1, a_2, \dotsc, a_k] . This can be seen by multiplying both the numerator and denominator of \frac{1}{\alpha} by a_0 + \cfrac{1}{a_1 + \cfrac{1}{a_2 + \cfrac{1}{\ddots a_{k - 1} + \cfrac{1}{a_k}}}} and simplifying. This will result in the simple continued fraction expression of \frac{1}{\alpha} being [0; a_1, a_2, \dotsc, a_k] .

You may have seen a different solution in your book because there are multiple ways to prove this statement. Some approaches use induction or properties of continued fractions, while your solution uses basic algebra. As long as your solution is logically sound and arrives at the correct answer, it is a valid solution. Keep up the good work!

Related to Simple Continued Fractions Question (I Think My Book Has a Mistake)

1. What is a simple continued fraction?

A simple continued fraction is a mathematical expression that represents a real number as a sequence of integers, where each integer is separated by a fraction bar. It is a unique way of representing a number and has many applications in mathematics and science.

2. How do you convert a decimal to a simple continued fraction?

To convert a decimal to a simple continued fraction, you can use the Euclidean algorithm. First, divide the denominator by the numerator to get the whole number part of the fraction. Then, take the reciprocal of the remaining fraction and repeat the process until the fraction becomes 0.

3. Can simple continued fractions have infinite length?

Yes, simple continued fractions can have infinite length. This occurs when the number being represented is irrational, meaning it cannot be expressed as a finite decimal or fraction. In this case, the simple continued fraction will have a pattern that repeats infinitely.

4. How do you simplify a simple continued fraction?

To simplify a simple continued fraction, you can use the algorithm described by Gauss. This involves finding the greatest common divisor of the numerator and denominator of each fraction in the continued fraction and dividing both by this value. This process can be repeated until the fraction can no longer be simplified.

5. What is the error in the "Simple Continued Fractions Question" in my book?

Without knowing the specific question in your book, it is impossible to determine the error. However, common mistakes in simple continued fractions include forgetting to include a whole number at the beginning of the fraction, not simplifying the fraction fully, or incorrectly converting a decimal to a fraction. It is important to carefully check your work and seek help if you are unsure about the solution.