Simple Complex Analysis Clarification

In summary, the conversation discusses working with Cauchy-Riemann equations and the equation f(z) = 2x+ixy^2. The question is whether u(x,y) is equal to 2x or just x. The link provided states that u(x,y) is equal to x, but there is confusion as to how that is possible. It is confirmed that u(x,y) should be equal to 2x and the discrepancy is a typo. The conversation also clarifies that x and y are defined as the real and imaginary parts of z.
RJLiberator
Gold Member
I am currently learning how to work with Cauchy-Riemann equations.

The equation is f(z) = 2x+ixy^2.

My question: is u(x,y) = 2x or just x?
At this link: http://www.math.mun.ca/~mkondra/coan/as3a.pdf in letter e) they say u(x,y) is equal to x. But I don't understand how that is possible.

Is that a typo or am I missing something critically important?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am 99.999997% that this should be ##u(x,y)=2x ## . It is a typo; Given f(x,y)=u(x,y)+iv(x,y), u(x,y) is the Real part of f(x,y)..

Likes RJLiberator
Excellent. Thank you for that confirmation.

I presume that you text has already defined x and y as the real and imaginary parts of z, z= x+ iy, so that x and y are real numbers themselves.

Likes RJLiberator
Yes, that is correct indeed.

Related to Simple Complex Analysis Clarification

1. What is Simple Complex Analysis?

Simple Complex Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions that map complex numbers to other complex numbers. It is an extension of real analysis, which deals with the study of functions mapping real numbers to other real numbers.

2. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit equal to the square root of -1. These numbers are used to represent quantities that involve both real and imaginary components.

3. What is the purpose of Simple Complex Analysis?

The purpose of Simple Complex Analysis is to provide a framework for understanding and analyzing functions of complex variables. It is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and solve problems involving complex quantities.

4. What are some key concepts in Simple Complex Analysis?

Some key concepts in Simple Complex Analysis include the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which describe the conditions for a function to be complex differentiable, and contour integration, which is a method for evaluating complex integrals using the properties of complex numbers.

5. Is Simple Complex Analysis difficult to learn?

The difficulty of learning Simple Complex Analysis may vary for different individuals. It requires a solid understanding of calculus and basic algebra, as well as the ability to think abstractly. With consistent practice and determination, anyone can grasp the concepts of Simple Complex Analysis.