Simple bucket lifting problem statics/physics

• Thread starter frank1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lifting
In summary, the conversation discusses a worker trying to lift a 100lb bucket in static equilibrium and finding the tension in the rope as a function of the height it is raised to. The equations used include solving for the angle and x and y components of the tension vector, as well as dividing the weight by 2. However, there is a discrepancy in the results as the tension remains constant at 30lb regardless of the angle. The person is seeking help in identifying where they went wrong in their calculations.
frank1234

Homework Statement

A worker is trying to lift a 100lb bucket. Assume that the bucket is in static equilibrium as it is raised from 2ft to 18ft. Find the tension in the rope as a function of y.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for angle, a, which cam out to be: arctan(4/(20-y))

Then I solved for the x and y components of the tension vector using: T_x=50lb(a+90) and T_y=50lb(a+90)
I divided the weight by 2 because there are 2 ropes

Then I solved for tension with: sqrt(T_x^2+T_y^2)

The problem I am seeing is that the tension is constant at 30lb no matter the angle, a. I do not think that this should be the case. Could somebody point out where I went wrong? Thank you!

Attachments

• Drawing.gif
    Drawing.gif
    9.3 KB · Views: 536
Physics news on Phys.org
T_y=50lb(a+90) is wrong. Have another think.

Related to Simple bucket lifting problem statics/physics

1. How do you calculate the weight of the bucket?

The weight of the bucket can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the bucket by the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared.

2. What forces are acting on the bucket when lifting it?

When lifting the bucket, the main forces acting on it are the force of gravity pulling it downwards and the force of the person's hand pushing it upwards. There may also be additional forces, such as friction, depending on the specific situation.

3. How do you determine the minimum force required to lift the bucket?

The minimum force required to lift the bucket is equal to the weight of the bucket plus any additional forces needed to overcome friction or other resistive forces. This force must be greater than the weight of the bucket to lift it off the ground.

4. What is the role of the fulcrum in lifting a bucket?

The fulcrum acts as a pivot point for the lever that is used to lift the bucket. It helps to distribute the weight of the bucket evenly and allows for a smaller force to be applied to lift the bucket.

5. How does the position of the fulcrum affect the lifting of the bucket?

The position of the fulcrum can affect how much force is needed to lift the bucket. Moving the fulcrum closer to the bucket will require less force to lift it, while moving it further away will require more force. The position of the fulcrum also affects the direction in which the bucket will move when lifted.