Simple Bernoulli's exercise to find air flow rate

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a Bernoulli exercise in which the numbers do not seem to work when plugged into an equation derived from the original Bernoulli equation. The issue is eventually resolved by realizing a mistake in the equation and discussing the units of pressure.
levi415
I'm having problems with what seems like a simple Bernoulli exercise where I can plug in all known variables but not get an answer (using Excel).

If I reduce my system down, it would be exactly like a venturi/pipe flow problem except that flow is in the direction of small pipe to large pipe. P1 and A1 are for small pipe, P2 and A2 are for larger pipe.
P1=60psi
A1=.002in^2 (very small orifice)
P2=55psi
A2=.307in^2
density (rho) air at 90F/60psi=.367lb/ft^3
Bernoulli's eqn at continuity gives flow rate Q = A2*[((2*deltaP)/rho)/(1-(A2/A1)^2)]^0.5

When I plug in the numbers as shown, I get a number error in Excel because the 1-(A2/A1)^2 in the denominator ends up negative.

Any ideas where I might have gone wrong? Thanks very much.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why not just start from the actual Bernoulli equation? You can derive the equation you just cited and determine that your denominator is flipped. It should be
[tex]\left(\frac{A_2}{A_1}\right)^2 - 1[/tex]

Thanks, boneh3ad. I actually did derive the above equation from the original where
P1+0.5*rho*v1^2 = P2+0.5*rho*v2^2. Since A1v1 = A2v2, I solved for v2 and substituted back into the original.
I think my error was... as I was ignoring the sign of my deltaP, I was subtracting from the wrong side of the equation, i.e., I should have been subtracting system 1 variables from system 2 variables. Anyway, I came up with an answer for v2 (instead of finding Q). V is what I want anyway.
What confuses me is... where do the time units come into the equation? How do rho, area, and pressure give me a distance/time unit?

The SI unit of pressure, the pascal has units
[tex]\frac{kg\;m}{s^2\;m^2}[/tex]

Related to Simple Bernoulli's exercise to find air flow rate

1. What is Bernoulli's Principle?

Bernoulli's Principle is a fundamental concept in fluid dynamics that states that an increase in the speed of a fluid occurs simultaneously with a decrease in pressure or a decrease in the fluid's potential energy. It is named after the Swiss mathematician Daniel Bernoulli who first published the principle in his book Hydrodynamica in 1738.

2. How is Bernoulli's Principle applied to find air flow rate?

In the context of finding air flow rate, Bernoulli's Principle can be used to calculate the velocity of a fluid (in this case, air) by measuring the difference in pressure between two points in the fluid. This can then be used to determine the flow rate of air through a given space.

3. What is a simple exercise to find air flow rate using Bernoulli's Principle?

A simple exercise to find air flow rate using Bernoulli's Principle would involve using a pressure gauge to measure the difference in pressure between two points in the air stream, such as before and after a constriction in a pipe. This pressure difference can then be used to calculate the air velocity and subsequently the air flow rate.

4. What are the limitations of using Bernoulli's Principle to find air flow rate?

While Bernoulli's Principle can provide a basic understanding of air flow rate, it does not account for factors such as viscosity, turbulence, or compressibility. Additionally, it assumes ideal conditions and may not be accurate for complex systems or at high speeds.

5. How can Bernoulli's Principle be used in practical applications?

Bernoulli's Principle has many practical applications, including in the design of aircraft wings and other aerodynamic shapes, as well as in the calculation of air flow rates in HVAC systems and wind tunnels. It is also used in the design of carburetors and air foils, and in the study of weather patterns and fluid mechanics in general.