Simple Bacteria doubling problem

• Thread starter Neil6790
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bacteria
In summary, the doubling period of a bacterial population is 20 minutes and the formula for the population is p(t)=A e^{kt}. After solving for k, it is found to be (ln(2))/20. To find the initial population at t=0, the equation 80000=A*e^(k*120) can be used to solve for A.
Neil6790

Homework Statement

The doubling period of a baterial population is 20 minutes. At time t = 120 minutes, the baterial population was 80000. With t representing minutes, the formula for the population is p(t)=A e^{kt}.

k=?
The initial population at time t = 0 is:?
The size of the baterial population after 3 hours is: ?

I attempted this problem and came up with k being (ln(2))/140. The online assignment keeps saying that is the wrong answer. If i can't find k, I can't get anything else. Please help me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the doubling time is twenty minutes then the population at time t=20 is twice the population at t=0. So 2*A*e^(k*0)=A*e^(k*20). Can you solve that for k? Notice the A cancels.

I am not sure. I can't solve that for k. I don't have A.

A cancels!

oh wow silly me. sorry. it does cancel

i got (ln(2))/20. Now how do i find t=0 if i don't know what A is.

Good start! You know 80000=A*e^(k*120). Can't you find A from that?

Related to Simple Bacteria doubling problem

1. How do bacteria multiply?

Bacteria multiply through a process called binary fission, where one bacterium divides into two identical daughter cells.

2. What is the doubling time for bacteria?

The doubling time for bacteria can vary depending on the type of bacteria and the environmental conditions, but on average it is about 20 minutes.

3. How many bacteria will there be after a certain number of generations?

The number of bacteria after a certain number of generations can be calculated using the equation N = N0 * 2^n, where N0 is the initial number of bacteria and n is the number of generations.

4. What factors affect the growth rate of bacteria?

The growth rate of bacteria can be affected by factors such as temperature, nutrient availability, pH levels, and the presence of other organisms or antibiotics.

5. How does bacteria doubling affect the spread of disease?

Bacteria doubling plays a crucial role in the spread of disease, as it allows for rapid multiplication and spread of harmful bacteria. This can be controlled through proper hygiene and sanitation measures.