Simple analog voice distortion circuit

In summary, the conversation is about building a simple analog voice distortion circuit without using ICs. The idea is to use a mic, a speaker, oscillators, analog multipliers, and RLC filters to create a real-time distortion. The goal is to achieve a robotic sound, but any type of distortion will do. The person is looking for guidance and suggestions on how to build this device without using ICs. One suggestion is to use a ring modulation circuit. The person has successfully built the modulator but is experiencing some issues with the audio output. They are seeking help to troubleshoot the problem.
fede.na
Hi, I'm trying to build a simple analog voice distortion circuit, without any ICs if it's possible. It can get pretty hard to hunt down a specific IC around here.

Anyhow, my idea was to get a mic, a speaker, a few oscillators, analog multipliers and RLC filters to build a real time distortion (it will be a portable device, so it will be DC powered). I know it's probably too much to ask, but the original idea was that the distortion came out as kinda robotic, but it's not a must, any cool distortion will do it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm sort of the electrical engineering student with a lot of theoretical knowledge and little experience, so spare no explanations. Maybe just tell me a good waveform to multiply the input with and i'll search how to do it.. any help is appreciated. Pretty much everything I found involved an IC, so if I there's any chance I could avoid that, that'd be great.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Wow that was fast and very helpful, thank you very much nsaspook! I'll post how this turns out in case anyone is interested.

fede.na said:
Wow that was fast and very helpful, thank you very much nsaspook! I'll post how this turns out in case anyone is interested.

I hope you make something cool. With the proper circuits to generate pseudorandom mixer carriers you can even make a pretty good voice scrambler device that sounds similar to this:
ParkHill
Voice Inversion:
Simple inversion scrambler

Last edited:
Hi again! So I built the modulator and it works great... but there's something weird about it. I'm using my PC's stereo output to feed both the audio signal and the 30Hz carrier wave. The audio on the left channel and the 30Hz wave on the right channel.

I'm generating the signals in Audacity, but here's the weird thing: when I do a 100% separation of the tracks between channels, I can't hear almost anything. When I let a little bit of the carrier onto the other channel, it sounds a lot like it should... like youtube videos demonstrating the circuit. If I just go 50% both signals, i.e. not splitting the tracks at all between the channels, as if it were mono output I guess, it sounds perfect...

Why does this happen? It's really weird. I tried to contact the guy who made that tutorial but didn't find any contact info.

Thanks in advance

As a wild guess, maybe you have the center tapped windings connected incorrectly.

Related to Simple analog voice distortion circuit

1. What is a simple analog voice distortion circuit?

A simple analog voice distortion circuit is a type of electronic circuit that manipulates the sound of a human voice by introducing various distortions and effects. It can be used to alter the tone, pitch, or overall sound of a person's voice, often for creative or artistic purposes.

2. How does a simple analog voice distortion circuit work?

A simple analog voice distortion circuit typically consists of several components, including a microphone, amplifier, and various filters and modulators. The microphone picks up the sound of the voice and sends it to the amplifier, which boosts the signal. The filters and modulators then alter the sound in various ways, creating the desired distortion effect.

3. What are the benefits of using a simple analog voice distortion circuit?

One of the main benefits of using a simple analog voice distortion circuit is its versatility. It allows for a wide range of effects and can be used for everything from creating unique vocal sounds in music to recreating voices for film and television. It is also relatively easy to use and can be incorporated into various audio setups.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using a simple analog voice distortion circuit?

One potential drawback of a simple analog voice distortion circuit is that it may introduce unwanted noise or artifacts into the sound. Additionally, it may require some technical knowledge and skill to operate and may not be suitable for all types of voice distortion effects.

5. Can a simple analog voice distortion circuit be used for live performances?

Yes, a simple analog voice distortion circuit can be used for live performances. However, it may require additional equipment, such as a mixer or effects pedal, to incorporate it into a live sound setup. It is also important to properly set and adjust the levels to avoid any technical issues or unwanted distortion during the performance.