Silly question about n.of dimensions in m-theory

In summary, Duff et al. argue that the additional dimension of M-theory is necessary in order to unify the five different string theories. However, this is still an uncertain theory and it is possible that the dimension does not matter at all.
matteo210
hi everyone,

i am no physicist so i only have a slight understanding of these matters.
I just finished reading Greene's "elegant universe" and i understood that in "classical" string theories there are 6 compactified dimensions along with our familiar 3 extended spatial dimensions + time.

From what Greene writes, M-theory (following supersimmetry/supergravity theories) adds a further compactified dimension which is different from the other ones because it is "embedded" in the strings themselves. I mean, if i understood correctly (which i doubt), the six compactified dimensions are "external" to the strings and they add further degrees of freedom to the strings'movements and vibrations. The seventh dimension is instead "embedded" in the strings, so that a string can become a 2-brane.

If the above is true, why then are we only adding one further dimension? given the fact that branes can have n dimensions, why the m-theory only adds one further compactified dimension and not n further dimensions?
Hope i made myself sufficiently clear, thanks for an answer,
matteo

Physics news on Phys.org
A good question. Indeed, M-theory (viewed as an unknown unification theory that contains strings as a special case) could, in principle, have more than 11 dimensions. However, we know that it has AT LEAST 11 dimensions. The belief that M-theory has exactly 11 dimensions is related to the fact that the highest number of dimensions for a supersymmetric field theory (without spins higher than 2) is 11. On the other hand, there are speculations known under the name F-theory that the actual number of dimensions in the final theory could be 12.

Anyway, for MOST branes the n dimensions of the brane are NOT embedded in the strings. That's why in most cases we do not need to add further dimensions for branes.

matteo210 said:
The seventh dimension is instead "embedded" in the strings, so that a string can become a 2-brane.

I wouldn't say the dimension is "embedded in the string". I think it is just that the 1D string is extended in the extra dimension of M-theory. All the strings of string theory are really extended also in a small dimension that is neglected. If you take it into account, you see that the strings are really 2d objects.

The main reason for the one extra dimension is to unify the five different string theories, and notice that they are different limits of M-theory. Anyway, all this is quite uncertain.

Torquil

Edited:

Duff et al have an interesting approach by comparing scalar extended objects and fermions. See page 10 of http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-th/9611203v2 contains the detailed argument. Esentially is the same argument that Demystifier, but it allows to locate all the possible extended branes. The point is that the product of the number of components of the D-dimensional spinor and the number of allowed supersymmetries in dimension D producing no spin higher than 2 is bounded, and it must match the degrees of freedom of the scalar bosons in any extended object living there.

Last edited:
Demystifier said:
... On the other hand, there are speculations known under the name F-theory that the actual number of dimensions in the final theory could be 12
As far as I understood the 12th dimension is a technicality and not a real dimension. In addition I thought that F-theory is a local approach to describe some structures of full string- / M-theory, but w/o claiming to be the full theory. So does this additional dimension matter at all?

Related to Silly question about n.of dimensions in m-theory

1. What is M-theory?

M-theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to unify all known fundamental forces and particles into a single model. It is still a work in progress and is considered a candidate for a theory of everything.

2. How many dimensions are there in M-theory?

M-theory suggests that there are 11 dimensions in total, with 10 of them being spatial dimensions and one being a time dimension. However, this is still a subject of debate and research in the scientific community.

3. Why are there more dimensions in M-theory than we can perceive?

In M-theory, the additional dimensions are believed to be compactified, meaning they are curled up and too small for us to detect. This is also known as the "hidden dimensions" concept.

4. How does M-theory affect our understanding of the universe?

M-theory has the potential to unify all the fundamental forces and particles in our current understanding of the universe. It also allows for the possibility of parallel universes and the concept of the multiverse.

5. How can we test the validity of M-theory?

Currently, there is no experimental evidence to support M-theory. However, scientists are working on developing new experiments and technologies to test its predictions, such as the Large Hadron Collider at CERN.