Signals and Systems, system properties

In summary, the conversation discusses the stability of two equations, y(t) = t x(t) and y(t) = x(t)/t, for bounded inputs. It is concluded that as t approaches zero, both equations produce unbounded outputs, making them unstable. While there is a possibility that y(t) = t x(t) may have a bounded output for a bounded input, this is not possible for y(t) = x(t)/t.
freydawg56
I know that y(t) = t x(t) is unstable, for bounded inputs yielding unbounded outputs, but would

y(t) = x(t)/ t also be unstable? when t is going in the negative direction? please help. test Monday.

Physics news on Phys.org
As t approaches zero, you get unbounded outputs from bounded inputs. So, it is unstable.

Also, please somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I believe y(t) = t x(t) does in fact have a bounded output for a bounded input. If you don't let x go to infinity, then y will also not go to infinity, and is therefore bounded and stable.

kovachattack said:
As t approaches zero, you get unbounded outputs from bounded inputs. So, it is unstable.

Also, please somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I believe y(t) = t x(t) does in fact have a bounded output for a bounded input. If you don't let x go to infinity, then y will also not go to infinity, and is therefore bounded and stable.

No, even with a bounded x, y will grow with time, so it is unbounded.
As, for the original question, x(t)/t is unstable for t equal zero, so no real system can have such characteristics.

Related to Signals and Systems, system properties

1. What is the definition of a signal in the context of signals and systems?

A signal is a physical quantity or variable that conveys information. In the context of signals and systems, it can be represented as a function of time or space.

2. What are some common types of signals?

Some common types of signals include continuous-time signals, discrete-time signals, periodic signals, and aperiodic signals. Continuous-time signals are defined over a continuous range of time, while discrete-time signals are defined only at discrete points in time.

3. What are the main properties of a system in signals and systems?

The main properties of a system in signals and systems are linearity, time-invariance, causality, and stability. Linearity means that the output of the system is directly proportional to the input. Time-invariance means that the system's behavior does not change over time. Causality means that the output of the system depends only on the current and past inputs, not future inputs. Stability means that the system's output does not grow without bounds for a bounded input.

4. How are signals and systems related?

Signals and systems are closely related because signals are processed by systems. A system takes an input signal and produces an output signal based on its properties and characteristics. Understanding the properties of systems is essential in analyzing and designing systems for specific applications.

5. What is the importance of studying system properties in signals and systems?

Studying system properties in signals and systems is crucial because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of systems. It also enables us to analyze and design systems for various applications, such as communication, control, and signal processing. Knowing the properties of a system can also help us troubleshoot and optimize its performance.