Signals and Systems [Calc the Fundamental Period]

Good luck on your future assignments and exams.In summary, to find the fundamental period and frequency of a function, we use the formula T = 2(pi)/w and find the LCM of the periods of the individual terms in the function. In this case, the fundamental period is T = 75 and the frequency is w = 2/75(pi). Keep practicing and don't get discouraged - you'll get it right next time!
damasgate

Homework Statement

Determine the Fundamental Period and Frequency

I got this question wrong on My midterm and I was wondering if you guys could give me some feedback on it

x(t) = cos[50(pi)t] + sin[15(pi)t]

Homework Equations

T(fundamental Period) = 2(pi)/w // w is the frequency

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding the peirod of both sine and cosine

for first T = 2(pi)/50(pi) = 1/25
for second T=2(pi)/15(pi) = 2/15

then you have to find the least common Multiple(I think this is where I messed it up)

I got for (1/25) and (2/15) LCM to be 1/75 [ like I said I think this is wrong, I'm not sure how to do LCM with fractions]

I got T=1/75 (fundamental Period)
then I got W=2(pi)/T = 150(pi0
and then I got TWO big Xs on them :(

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear student,

First of all, don't be discouraged by getting a question wrong on your midterm. Making mistakes is a normal part of the learning process, and it's important to take these opportunities to learn and improve.

In this case, your approach was on the right track, but there were a few errors in your calculations. Let's break it down step by step:

1. To find the fundamental period, we need to find the smallest value of t where the function repeats itself. This is also known as the least common multiple (LCM) of the periods of the individual terms in the function.

2. To find the period of a cosine or sine function, we use the formula T = 2(pi)/w, where w is the frequency. In this case, the frequency of the cosine term is 50(pi), and the frequency of the sine term is 15(pi).

3. So, the period of the cosine term is T = 2(pi)/50(pi) = 1/25, and the period of the sine term is T = 2(pi)/15(pi) = 2/15.

4. To find the LCM of these two fractions, we need to find the smallest number that is divisible by both 25 and 15. This number is 75, so the fundamental period is T = 75.

5. Now, to find the frequency, we can use the formula w = 2(pi)/T. Plugging in our value for T, we get w = 2(pi)/75 = 2/75(pi).

So, the fundamental period is T = 75 and the frequency is w = 2/75(pi). I hope this helps clarify the process for you. Keep practicing and don't get discouraged - you'll get it right next time!

Related to Signals and Systems [Calc the Fundamental Period]

1. What is the fundamental period of a signal?

The fundamental period of a signal is the smallest repeating unit of a periodic signal. It is the smallest value of T such that x(t) = x(t+T) for all values of t.

2. How is the fundamental period calculated?

The fundamental period can be calculated by finding the smallest value of T for which x(t) = x(t+T) for all values of t. This can be done by observing the signal and identifying the smallest repeating pattern.

3. Can a signal have multiple fundamental periods?

No, a signal can only have one fundamental period. This is because the fundamental period is the smallest repeating unit of a signal, and if there were multiple fundamental periods, the signal would have multiple smallest repeating units.

4. Can a non-periodic signal have a fundamental period?

No, a non-periodic signal does not have a fundamental period. A fundamental period is only defined for periodic signals, which have a repeating pattern.

5. How does the fundamental period affect the frequency of a signal?

The fundamental period is related to the frequency of a signal by the equation f = 1/T, where f is the frequency and T is the fundamental period. This means that as the fundamental period decreases, the frequency of the signal increases, and vice versa.