Signal Source - (Thévenin, Norton)

In summary, the conversation involves a question about calculating the Thévenin voltage, Norton current, and source resistance of a particular signal source with varying resistances. The discussion covers the concept of loading the signal source with different resistances and measuring the resulting output voltage. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to measure the voltage across the load and the reminder that two measurements are needed to solve for the unknowns.
FrogPad
I am troubled by this question. The book for this new course seems to have different terminology then what I am accustom to. I'm stuck on this question, because I don't understand what it is asking.

question) A particular signal source produces an output voltage of [itex] 30\,mV [/itex] when loaded by a [itex] 100\,k\Omega [/itex] resistor and [itex] 10\,mV [/itex] when loaded by a [itex] 10\,k\Omega [/itex] resistor. Calculate the Thévenin voltage, Norton current, and source resistance.answer) not sure.

my guess is that there is some signal source, say [itex] V_s [/itex] that is in series with a resistor, say [itex] R_s [/itex]. [itex] R_s [/itex] (which is the source resistance) is then connected in series to a load resistor, say [itex] R_L [/itex]. Where [itex] R_L [/itex] has the values [itex] R_L=\{100\,k\Omega, 10\,k\Omega \} [/itex].

So when you load the signal source with these resistance values, an output of [itex] 30\, mV [/itex] and [itex] 10\, mV [/itex] is measured respectively.

Where do I measure this voltage? Across just the signal source? Across the load? Across the resistor and signal source?

Any help would be very appreciative.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The measured voltage would be across the load RL.

Also, the two measurements will give you the required two equations for solving the two unknowns (Vs and Rs).

doodle said:
The measured voltage would be across the load RL.

Also, the two measurements will give you the required two equations for solving the two unknowns (Vs and Rs).

Thanks doodle!

Pretty easy question then :)

Related to Signal Source - (Thévenin, Norton)

What is a signal source?

A signal source is a device or circuit that generates an electrical, electromagnetic, or optical signal. It can be used to produce a wide range of signals, including audio, radio frequency, and digital signals.

What is the difference between Thévenin and Norton equivalent circuits?

The Thévenin and Norton equivalent circuits are two different ways of representing a complex network of resistors, capacitors, and/or inductors as a single voltage source and series resistor. The main difference between them is that the Thévenin equivalent uses a voltage source, while the Norton equivalent uses a current source.

How do you calculate the Thévenin equivalent voltage and resistance?

To calculate the Thévenin voltage, you need to find the open-circuit voltage at the output terminals of the network. To calculate the Thévenin resistance, you need to find the equivalent resistance by looking into the network from the output terminals with all the voltage and current sources removed.

What is the purpose of using Thévenin and Norton equivalent circuits?

The purpose of using Thévenin and Norton equivalent circuits is to simplify complex networks into a single voltage or current source with a series resistance. This makes it easier to analyze and design circuits, as well as to understand the behavior of the network.

How can Thévenin and Norton equivalent circuits be used in practical applications?

Thévenin and Norton equivalent circuits are commonly used in circuit analysis and design, as well as in electronic and electrical systems. They are also useful for testing and troubleshooting circuits, as they can provide a simplified view of a complex network without affecting the overall behavior of the system.