[Signal and system] Function with fourier series a[k] = 1

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the function x(t) with the given values of T and w0. It is mentioned that the integral does not converge and the conversation also touches on the dirac delta function and distributions. The solution for this question is y(t) = ∑(delta(t - 4k)), but it is noted that y(t) could not be found since it does not converge.
Duke Le
We have:
Period T = 4, so fundamental frequency w0 = pi/2.
This question seems sooo easy. But when I use the integral:

x(t) = Σa[k] * exp(i*k*pi/2*t).
I get 1 + sum(cos(k*pi/2*t)), which does not converge.

Where did I went wrong ?
Thanks a lot for your help.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Duke,

Duke Le said:
We have T = 4, so w0 = pi/2.

I have no idea :wink: what your T and w0 stand for. Especially T. Have you heard of the dirac delta function ? Familiar with distributions ?

BvU said:
Hello Duke,
I have no idea :wink: what your T and w0 stand for. Especially T. Have you heard of the dirac delta function ? Familiar with distributions ?
Thanks for replying! I edited the post. So the answer for this question is:
y(t) = ∑(delta(t - 4k))
From y(t) i can show that a[k] = 1 for all k. But I couldn't find y(t) given that a[k] = 1 since it didn't converge.

Related to [Signal and system] Function with fourier series a[k] = 1

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a way of representing a periodic function as a combination of sine and cosine waves. It is named after the French mathematician Joseph Fourier who first introduced the concept in the early 19th century.

2. How is a Fourier series used in signal and system analysis?

A Fourier series is commonly used in signal and system analysis to decompose a signal or system into its individual frequency components. This allows for a better understanding of the behavior and characteristics of the signal or system.

3. What does the notation a[k] = 1 mean in a Fourier series?

The notation a[k] = 1 in a Fourier series represents the amplitude of the kth harmonic, or frequency component, of the function. In this case, it means that all frequency components have an amplitude of 1.

4. Can a Fourier series be used for non-periodic functions?

No, a Fourier series can only be used for periodic functions. However, a similar concept called the Fourier transform can be used for non-periodic functions.

5. How is a Fourier series calculated?

A Fourier series is calculated by finding the coefficients a[k] and b[k] for each harmonic, which represent the amplitudes and phases of the sine and cosine waves, respectively. These coefficients are then used to construct the Fourier series equation for the given function.