Shubnikov de haas oscillations, conductance quantization

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses the Quantum Hall Effect and Shubnikov de Haas oscillations. The first point of confusion is how resistance can be zero while conductance is finite when the Fermi level lies between two Landau levels. This is due to the difference between macroscopic and microscopic views of the system. The second point addresses the edge channel model and how the net current is created by the unequal number of edge channels on each side, similar to a river's flow. The conversation concludes by offering further clarification if needed.
Serge87
Hi all
I'm just studying the QHE and Shubnikov de Haas oscillations. There are two points I find somehow confusing:

1. If you look at ρxx (resistance along the direction of applied field), you will find oscillations of this resistance as a function of the external magnetic field. Whenever the Fermi level lies in between 2 landau levels, there is no scattering and therefore ρxx is zero. But on the other hand, each edge channel has a finite amount of conductance (2e2/h). So how can it be, that resistance is 0 while conductance is not infinite?

2. The edge channel model is scetched as follows:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/Sketch_edge_channels.svg

What I don't get here: Why can you measure a current at all in this situation? I mean, on the left edge the current is running down, while on the right edge current is running up? So from this point of view there is no net current? Or is it, since the Lorentz force is pushing the electrons to one of the two edges, there is an unequal number of edge channels on both sides?

I hope my questions are clear (I'm not native english speaker)

would be great to get some inputs here.
Thanks in advance
cheers
Serge

Physics news on Phys.org
y

Hi Sergey,

Great questions! Let's address them one by one:

1. The reason for the apparent discrepancy between zero resistance and finite conductance lies in the difference between the macroscopic and microscopic views of the system. From a macroscopic point of view, the resistance is indeed zero when the Fermi level lies between two Landau levels. This is because, as you mentioned, there is no scattering and therefore no energy dissipation in the system. However, from a microscopic point of view, there are still individual edge channels with a finite amount of conductance. This means that while the overall resistance is zero, there is still a finite amount of current flowing through each individual channel. This can be understood by thinking of the edge channels as wires, where each wire has a finite amount of resistance but when connected in parallel, the overall resistance is zero.

2. Your understanding of the edge channel model is correct. The Lorentz force does indeed push the electrons to one of the two edges, creating an unequal number of edge channels on each side. This results in a net current flowing through the system, even though the individual currents on each edge cancel each other out. This is similar to how a river can have a net flow even though the individual water molecules may be moving in different directions.

I hope this helps clarify your questions. If you have any further inquiries, please don't hesitate to ask.

Related to Shubnikov de haas oscillations, conductance quantization

What are Shubnikov de Haas oscillations?

Shubnikov de Haas oscillations are a quantum phenomenon observed in the conductance of a two-dimensional electron gas in a strong magnetic field. They manifest as periodic oscillations in the conductance as the magnetic field strength is varied, and are the result of the quantization of the electron energy levels in the presence of a magnetic field.

How do Shubnikov de Haas oscillations relate to conductance quantization?

Shubnikov de Haas oscillations are directly related to conductance quantization, as the oscillations occur due to the quantization of electron energy levels. This quantization leads to discrete values of conductance, which can be observed in the oscillations of the conductance as the magnetic field is varied.

What is the significance of conductance quantization?

Conductance quantization is significant because it provides a direct measurement of the electron energy levels in a material. This is important for understanding the electronic properties of materials and can also have practical applications in the development of electronic devices.

How are Shubnikov de Haas oscillations experimentally observed?

Shubnikov de Haas oscillations are typically observed by measuring the conductance of a two-dimensional electron gas as a function of magnetic field strength. This can be done using a Hall effect measurement, where the magnetic field is varied while the current and voltage are kept constant.

What factors can affect the amplitude and frequency of Shubnikov de Haas oscillations?

The amplitude and frequency of Shubnikov de Haas oscillations can be affected by various factors, including temperature, impurities in the material, and the strength of the magnetic field. These factors can cause changes in the electron energy levels and therefore alter the observed oscillations.