Showing the parallelogram law with a simplistic knowledge of vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses trying to prove the parallelogram law using vectors and a diagram representation. The attempt at a solution involves showing that the sum of squared side lengths of a parallelogram is equal to the sum of its squared diagonals. The conversation ends with a suggestion to expand the last line by expressing the magnitude squared as a dot product of the vector inside with itself and splitting the dot product into two for each of the added vectors.
Combinatus

Homework Statement

Show that the sum of the squared side lengths of a parallelogram is equal to the sum of its squared diagonals.

2. Somewhat relevant thoughts

I've decided to try to show the parallelogram law with vectors, since I already managed to find an Elements-inspired proof of it. However, I couldn't translate that into vectors, and I can't seem to figure this one out on my own. I found another proof that uses normed vector spaces that I didn't understand. My knowledge of vectors is pretty much limited to scalar products, vector products and the volume function.

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/1478/parai.png

Using the parallelogram representation in the figure above, it seems relevant to show that [tex]|\overrightarrow{AB}|^2 + |\overrightarrow{BC}|^2 + |\overrightarrow{DC}|^2 + |\overrightarrow{AD}|^2 = |\overrightarrow{AC}|^2 + |\overrightarrow{BD}|^2[/tex] (1)

[tex]|\overrightarrow{AB}|^2 + |\overrightarrow{BC}|^2 + |\overrightarrow{DC}|^2 + |\overrightarrow{AD}|^2 = 2|\overrightarrow{AB}|^2 + 2|\overrightarrow{AD}|^2 = 2|\overrightarrow{AM} + \overrightarrow{MB}|^2 + 2|\overrightarrow{AM} + \overrightarrow{MD}|^2 = 2|.5 \overrightarrow{AC} + .5 \overrightarrow{DB}|^2 + 2|.5 \overrightarrow{AC} - .5 \overrightarrow{DB}|^2 =[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{2} (|\overrightarrow{AC} + \overrightarrow{DB}|^2 + |\overrightarrow{AC} - \overrightarrow{DB}|^2)[/tex]

The latter step seems like a reasonably important geometric identity, but I'm unable to get anywhere with it. All further attempts I've made have either created more complexity and ultimately been dead-ends, or have been wrong. Any suggestions?

I also noticed that the R.H.S. of (1) can be written as [tex]2|\overrightarrow{AM}|^2 + 2|\overrightarrow{MD}|^2[/tex], which is somewhat algebraically and geometrically similar to the [tex]2|\overrightarrow{AM} + \overrightarrow{MB}|^2 + 2|\overrightarrow{AM} + \overrightarrow{MD}|^2[/tex] step above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
scratch last bit...

if i follow correctly, i think you might be close, how about expanding your last line by expressing the magnitude squared as a dot product of the vector inside with itself

Related to Showing the parallelogram law with a simplistic knowledge of vectors

1. How can I understand the parallelogram law with a simplistic knowledge of vectors?

The parallelogram law states that the sum of the squares of the lengths of the four sides of a parallelogram is equal to the sum of the squares of the diagonals. In simpler terms, it means that the sum of two vectors squared is equal to the sum of the squared components of the individual vectors.

2. What is the significance of the parallelogram law in vector addition?

The parallelogram law is significant in vector addition because it allows us to add two vectors geometrically. By constructing a parallelogram using the two vectors, the diagonal of the parallelogram represents the resultant vector, which is the sum of the two original vectors.

3. Can you provide an example of the parallelogram law in action?

Imagine you have two vectors, A with a magnitude of 3 and B with a magnitude of 4. Using the parallelogram law, we can construct a parallelogram with sides of length 3 and 4. The diagonal of the parallelogram, which is the resultant vector, will have a magnitude of √(3^2 + 4^2) = √25 = 5. This shows that the sum of two vectors squared (9 + 16 = 25) is equal to the squared components of the individual vectors.

4. How does the parallelogram law relate to vector subtraction?

The parallelogram law also applies to vector subtraction. By constructing a parallelogram using the two vectors, the diagonal of the parallelogram will represent the resultant vector, which is the difference between the two original vectors. This can be seen as the opposite of vector addition, where the diagonal represents the sum of two vectors.

5. Is the parallelogram law applicable to all types of vectors?

Yes, the parallelogram law is applicable to all types of vectors, including two-dimensional and three-dimensional vectors. It is a fundamental concept in vector addition and subtraction, and is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.