Showing the components of a plane EM wave are perpendicular

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the EM wave equations from Maxwell's equations and the need to show that the electric and magnetic components are perpendicular to each other and to the direction of propagation. The textbook being used is not clear on this and assumes that one of the components and the direction of propagation are perpendicular. The speaker has attempted to solve the wave equations for E and B but ends up assuming their perpendicularity. The Poynting vector is mentioned as a possible approach, but the use of Gauss's law ultimately proves the perpendicularity.
TheBaker

Homework Statement

I've derived the EM wave equations from Maxwell's equations, and I now need to show that the E and B components are both perpendicular to each other and to the direction of propagation.

The textbook I've been using attempts to show why this is, but it isn't particularly clear and seems to assume that propagation and one of the components are perpendicular.

Homework Equations

[tex]\nabla^2E = \mu_0 \epsilon_0 \ddot{E}[/tex]
[tex]\nabla^2B = \mu_0 \epsilon_0 \ddot{B}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
You might start by solving the wave equations for E and B i.e. writing down the most general form for E and B consistent with a wave of definite frequency and wavelength. Try plugging those guesses into the original Maxwell equations and see what you find.

That's kind of what I've tried, but I end up assuming that the E component and direction of propagation are perpendicular.

[tex] \vec{E} = (E_0, 0, 0) \sin(\omega(t + \frac{z}{v}))[/tex]

[tex] \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E} = -\dot{\vec{B}} = (0, E_0, 0) \frac{\omega}{v}\cos(\omega(t + \frac{z}{v}))[/tex]

This shows that E and B are perpendicular, but in doing so I've assumed that E and the direction of the propagation are perpendicular.

I thought about using the Poynting vector to show that the direction of propagation is perpendicular to E and B, but I wasn't sure as to whether this proved it or not.

You can use
[tex] \nabla \cdot \vec{E} = 0 [/tex] (in free space w/ no source) to show that the electric field and the wave vector are perpendicular.

Ah, I've got it now (I ended up using the integral form of Gauss's law, but it boils down to the same thing).

Thanks for your help.

Related to Showing the components of a plane EM wave are perpendicular

What is an electromagnetic wave?

An electromagnetic wave is a type of energy that is made up of oscillating electric and magnetic fields. These waves are created by the acceleration of charged particles and can travel through empty space.

How do you show that the components of an electromagnetic wave are perpendicular?

To show that the components of an electromagnetic wave are perpendicular, we use the right-hand rule. This rule states that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the electric field and your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field, your fingers will be perpendicular to your thumb.

Why are the components of an electromagnetic wave perpendicular?

The components of an electromagnetic wave are perpendicular because of the way the wave is created. The electric and magnetic fields are created by the acceleration of charged particles, and these fields are always perpendicular to the direction of the particle's motion.

What evidence supports the perpendicular nature of electromagnetic waves?

The evidence for the perpendicular nature of electromagnetic waves comes from experiments and observations. For example, experiments involving polarized filters and Faraday cages have shown that the electric and magnetic fields of an electromagnetic wave are indeed perpendicular to each other.

How does the perpendicular nature of electromagnetic waves affect their behavior?

The perpendicular nature of electromagnetic waves allows them to exhibit properties such as reflection, refraction, and interference. These properties are all based on the interaction between the electric and magnetic fields, which are always perpendicular to each other.