Showing that the normalized eigenvector for a distinct eigenvalue is unique

In summary: That seems like a pretty big assumption, what justification is there for thinking that will always be the case?In summary, an operator with distinct eigenvalues forms a basis of linearly independent eigenvectors. However, there is no "one to one mapping" of eigenvalues to eigenvectors.
randomafk
Hey guys,

I've been trying to brush up on my linear algebra and ran into this bit of confusion.

I just went through a proof that an operator with distinct eigenvalues forms a basis of linearly independent eigenvectors.

But the proof relied on a one to one mapping of eigenvalues to eigenvectors. Is there any particular reason why for a distinct eigenvalue, there shouldn't be more than one (normalized) eigenvectors that satisfies the eigenvalue definition.

And if so, how do I prove it? I'm not mentally convinced, even if that is the case as the proofs seem to indicate!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
randomafk said:
Hey guys,

I've been trying to brush up on my linear algebra and ran into this bit of confusion.

I just went through a proof that an operator with distinct eigenvalues forms a basis of linearly independent eigenvectors.

But the proof relied on a one to one mapping of eigenvalues to eigenvectors. Is there any particular reason why for a distinct eigenvalue, there shouldn't be more than one (normalized) eigenvectors that satisfies the eigenvalue definition.
No, there isn't any reason and unless that proof was dealing with a special situation (such as an n by n matrix having n distinct eigenvalues) it isn't true that there is a "one to one mapping of eigenvalues to eigenvectors". For example the diagonal matrix
[tex]\begin{pmatrix}2 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 2 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 2\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
has the single eigenvalue 2 but every vector is an eigenvector. Even requiring normalization, every unit vector in every direction is an eigenvector.

Now, if you mean, not just "distinct eigenvalues" but "n distinct eigenvalues for an n by n matrix", yes that is true. It follows from the fact that eigenvectors corresponding to distinct eigenvalues are independent. If matrix A is n by n, it acts on an n dimensional space. If A has n distinct eigenvalues, then it has n independent eigenvectors which form a basis for the space. There is no "room" for any other eigenvectors.

And if so, how do I prove it? I'm not mentally convinced, even if that is the case as the proofs seem to indicate!

Thanks!

HallsofIvy said:
For example the diagonal matrix
has the single eigenvalue 2 but every vector is an eigenvector.

I don't think that is what most linear algebraists would call that a "single" eigenvalue, any more than you would say that the equation ##(x- 2)^3 = 0## has only a "single" root (and of course the two statements are closely related).

I thnk the OP's question is about an eigenvalue with multiplicity one, which is what "distinct" means IMO.

HallsofIvy said:
No, there isn't any reason and unless that proof was dealing with a special situation (such as an n by n matrix having n distinct eigenvalues) it isn't true that there is a "one to one mapping of eigenvalues to eigenvectors". For example the diagonal matrix
has the single eigenvalue 2 but every vector is an eigenvector. Even requiring normalization, every unit vector in every direction is an eigenvector.

Now, if you mean, not just "distinct eigenvalues" but "n distinct eigenvalues for an n by n matrix", yes that is true. It follows from the fact that eigenvectors corresponding to distinct eigenvalues are independent. If matrix A is n by n, it acts on an n dimensional space. If A has n distinct eigenvalues, then it has n independent eigenvectors which form a basis for the space. There is no "room" for any other eigenvectors.

Oops. Sorry for the vague language, but when I said distinct eigenvalues I did indeed mean multiplicity of 1!

But anyway, where does that fact follow from?
My understanding of the proof that eigenvectors of distinct eigenvalues are independent is something like this (in the special case of n distinct eigen values)
1) The eigenvectors span the null space
2) There are n eigenvectors since there n distinct eigenvalues
3) Since the n = dim, they must all be independent and form a basis

but step 2 assumes that each eigenvalue produces a single eigenvector

1. What is the significance of showing that the normalized eigenvector for a distinct eigenvalue is unique?

Showing that the normalized eigenvector for a distinct eigenvalue is unique is important because it proves that the eigenvector is a unique solution to the eigenvalue equation. This means that the eigenvector can be used to accurately represent and understand the behavior of a system or matrix.

2. How is the uniqueness of the normalized eigenvector determined?

The uniqueness of the normalized eigenvector is determined by the properties of the eigenvalue equation and the properties of the matrix or system in question. It can be proven using mathematical techniques such as matrix operations and linear algebra.

3. Can the uniqueness of the normalized eigenvector change for different matrices or systems?

Yes, the uniqueness of the normalized eigenvector can vary for different matrices or systems. It is dependent on the specific properties and characteristics of the matrix or system, such as size, symmetry, and eigenvalues.

4. How does the uniqueness of the normalized eigenvector relate to the stability of a system?

The uniqueness of the normalized eigenvector is closely related to the stability of a system. If the eigenvector is unique, it means that it accurately represents the behavior of the system, which can provide insight into its stability and predict its future behavior.

5. What is the practical application of showing that the normalized eigenvector for a distinct eigenvalue is unique?

The practical application of showing that the normalized eigenvector for a distinct eigenvalue is unique is that it allows us to accurately model and understand the behavior of complex systems. This can have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance, where understanding the stability and behavior of systems is crucial.