Showing that one polynomial divides another

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary: Big(x^2 + bx + c\Big)\big(x+1\big)^{98}= \Big(\big(x-\lambda_{1} \big)\big(x-\lambda_{2} \big)\Big) \big(x - (-1)\big)^{98} = \big(x-\lambda_{1} \big)\big(x-\lambda_{2} \big)\big(x-\lambda_3\big)^{98}
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Show that ##\displaystyle \sum_{i=0}^{100} {100\choose i}{200-i\choose 198-i}x^i## is divisible ##(x+1)^{98}##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty stumped, but I have a few general. I think that the the binomial theorem will be involved. That is, I think we will have to use the fact that ##\displaystyle (x+1)^{98} = \sum_{i=0}^{98} {98\choose i}x^i##. Also, I think that we might have to use a combinatorial identity to simplify the first expression, but I am not sure... Another idea of mine was to try to show that the remainder must be zero, but then I see that this would involved a polynomial of degree 97 or less, which doesn't help very much with simplifying the problem... I think I just need to be nudged in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
I think we will have to use the fact that ##\displaystyle (x+1)^{98} = \sum_{i=0}^{98} {98\choose i}x^i##.
Why not just use that fact directly in an explicit binomial division? The quotient will be of order two, ie ##ax^2+bx+c##, so only three numbers need to be found, and the division will only have three stages.

In fact we can immediately observe that ##a=\pmatrix{100\\100}\pmatrix{100\\98} = 100\times 99/2 = 4,950##.

So the first step will be to write out a formula for ##P(x) - ax^2\times (x+1)^{98}##.

Likes StoneTemplePython
andrewkirk said:
Why not just use that fact directly in an explicit binomial division? The quotient will be of order two, ie ##ax^2+bx+c##, so only three numbers need to be found, and the division will only have three stages.

In fact we can immediately observe that ##a=\pmatrix{100\\100}\pmatrix{100\\98} = 100\times 99/2 = 4,950##.

So the first step will be to write out a formula for ##P(x) - ax^2\times (x+1)^{98}##.
I have a few questions. Is it because we are dividing a 100th degree polynomial by a 98th degree polynomial that the quotient must be a 2nd degree polynomial? Also, why are we trying to find the coefficients of this quotient? What about the remainder, which we might want to try to show to be zero? Also, what is ##P (x)##?

##P(x)## is the polynomial given in the OP. The answer to the first question is Yes, as the degree of the product of two polynomials is the sum of their degrees. The process for finding the coefficients is just the process of performing the division. The coefficients ##a,b,c## are obtained from the 1st, 2nd and 3rd stages of the division respectively. And calculating the remainder - in this case hoping it is zero - is an integral part of concluding the division. If it turns out to be zero as we expect, we will have proven the claim, and as an added bonus, we will know the quotient.

andrewkirk said:
##P(x)## is the polynomial given in the OP. The answer to the first question is Yes, as the degree of the product of two polynomials is the sum of their degrees. The process for finding the coefficients is just the process of performing the division. The coefficients ##a,b,c## are obtained from the 1st, 2nd and 3rd stages of the division respectively. And calculating the remainder - in this case hoping it is zero - is an integral part of concluding the division. If it turns out to be zero as we expect, we will have proven the claim, and as an added bonus, we will know the quotient.
I found that ##P(x) - ax^2 (x+1)^{98} = [{100\choose 99}{101\choose 99} - a{98\choose 97}]x^{99} + [{100\choose 98}{102\choose 100} - a{98\choose 96}]x^{98} + \cdots ##. Does this show that ##b = [{100\choose 99}{101\choose 99} - a{98\choose 97}] = 19900##?

Last edited:
Yes, if the calculation was correct, that will be the value of ##b##.

Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Show that ##\displaystyle \sum_{i=0}^{100} {100\choose i}{200-i\choose 198-i}x^i## is divisible ##(x+1)^{98}##.

an alternative approach:

working with a monic polynomial is typically easier -- i.e. leading coefficient of one. So divide everything in your original polynomial by ##\alpha =\binom{100}{100} \binom{200-100}{100-98} =\binom{100}{2}##

the problem reduces to showing

##\frac{1}{\alpha} \displaystyle \sum_{i=0}^{100} {100\choose i}{200-i\choose 198-i}x^i =\Big(x^2 + bx + c\Big)\big(x+1\big)^{98}= \Big(\big(x-\lambda_{1} \big)\big(x-\lambda_{2} \big)\Big) \big(x - (-1)\big)^{98} = \big(x-\lambda_{1} \big)\big(x-\lambda_{2} \big)\big(x - \lambda_3\big)^{98} ##

##\lambda_1## and ##\lambda_2## should be easy to uncover here (hint: think trace and determinant) -- or if you prefer: ##b## and ##c##.

Then direct multiplication gives the proof / verifies the claim.
- - - - -

It may be possible to skip the direct multiplication and verify the elementary symmetric sums line up -- given all the roots of ##(-1)## and the combinatoric structure, I have a suspicion this is what was intended.

Another approach that occurs to me is that, if ##(x+1)^{98}## divides the polynomial ##P(x)## then ##-1## is a root of ##P(x)## with multiplicity 98, which means that ##P^{(k)}(-1)=0## for ##0\le k\le 97##, where the superscript ##(k)## indicates number of times the polynomial has been differentiated.

We go from
$$P(x)=\sum_{i=0}^{100}\pmatrix{100\\i}\pmatrix{200-i\\198-i}x^i$$
to
$$P^{(k)}(x) = \sum_{i=k}^{100}
\pmatrix{100\\i}\pmatrix{200-i\\198-i}\frac{i!}{(i-k)!}
x^{i-k}$$
so the problem requires us to prove that, for ##k## any integer between 0 and 97 inclusive:
$$
\sum_{i=k}^{100}
\pmatrix{100\\i}\pmatrix{200-i\\198-i}\frac{i!}{(i-k)!}
(-1)^{i-k}
=0$$

Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty stumped, but I have a few general. I think that the the binomial theorem will be involved. That is, I think we will have to use the fact that ##\displaystyle (x+1)^{98} = \sum_{i=0}^{98} {98\choose i}x^i##. Also, I think that we might have to use a combinatorial identity to simplify the first expression, but I am not sure... Another idea of mine was to try to show that the remainder must be zero, but then I see that this would involved a polynomial of degree 97 or less, which doesn't help very much with simplifying the problem... I think I just need to be nudged in the right direction.

Yet another approach is to note that ##{200-i \choose 198-i}## is easy to write out in detail---it is quadratic in ##i##. So, you get a sum of the form
$$\sum_{i=0}^{100} {100 \choose i} (a + b i + c i(i-1)) x^i ,$$
and since ##i x^i = x (d/dx) x^i, \: i(i-1) x^i = x^2 (d/dx)^2 x^i, ## we have that your sum has the form
$$\text{sum} = (a + b x D + c x^2 D^2) (1+x)^{100}, $$
where ##D = d/dx.##

Last edited:

Related to Showing that one polynomial divides another

1. How do you show that one polynomial divides another?

To show that one polynomial divides another, you can use the polynomial long division method or the factor theorem. The polynomial long division method involves dividing the polynomial by the divisor and checking if there is a remainder. If there is no remainder, then the polynomial divides evenly. The factor theorem states that if a polynomial is divided by a factor and the remainder is equal to 0, then that factor is a divisor of the polynomial.

2. What is the difference between a divisor and a factor in polynomial division?

A divisor is a number or polynomial that is being divided into another number or polynomial. It is the number or polynomial on the outside of the division symbol. A factor, on the other hand, is a number or polynomial that is a part of the expression being divided. It is the number or polynomial on the inside of the division symbol.

3. Can you use synthetic division to show that one polynomial divides another?

Yes, you can use synthetic division to show that one polynomial divides another. Synthetic division is a simpler and faster method of polynomial long division that can be used for dividing polynomials by binomials of the form (x - a). This method is useful when the divisor is a linear polynomial.

4. What if there is a remainder when using polynomial long division?

If there is a remainder when using polynomial long division, then the polynomial does not divide evenly. This means that the divisor is not a factor of the polynomial. In this case, the remainder can be expressed as a fraction or decimal, depending on the degree of the polynomial.

5. How can you use the remainder theorem to show that one polynomial divides another?

The remainder theorem states that if a polynomial f(x) is divided by (x - a), then the remainder is equal to f(a). This means that if the remainder of the polynomial division is equal to 0, then the polynomial is divisible by (x - a) and (x = a) is a root or solution of the polynomial. Therefore, you can use the remainder theorem to show that one polynomial divides another by checking if the remainder is equal to 0.